The Mecca Metro or Makkah Metro is a planned four-line metro system for the city of Mecca, Saudi Arabia, constructed by China Railway Construction Corporation and run by Makkah Mass Rail Transit Company (MMRTC). The metro forms part of the 62-billion-riyal Makkah Public Transport Programme (MPTP), which will include integrated bus services.
|Native name||قطارات مكة للنقل العام|
|Transit type||Rapid transit|
|Number of lines||1 – Al Mashaaer Al Mugaddassah Metro line (shuttle train for Hajj pilgrims) |
|Number of stations||Line – 9 |
Line – 81 (projected)
|Began operation||Nov 2010 (MMMSL – open during Hajj season only)|
|System length||188 km (117 mi) (projected)|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) standard gauge|
The four new metro lines will be in addition to the existing Al Mashaaer Al Mugaddassah Metro line: 18.1 km, connecting Makkah, Arafat, Muzdalifa and Mina opened in November 2010 which only operates during the Hajj.
In August 2012 it was announced that the Saudi government had approved US$16.5 billion to build the four metro lines (182-kilometer (113 mi) long) of the system. The announcement of government financing said that the expansion would take 10 years. Invitations for tenders were due to be issued in January 2013.
- Line : will connect Makkah to large multilevel parking facilities from the west to the south.
- Line : is a straight link between Mina and Makkah.
- Line : will connect Mina to the west side of Makkah through a big loop to the north.
- Line  : circles Makkah with a straight extension to the north.
Work on the 188-kilometer (117 mi) long metro network is now expected to commence in 2016.
- "Al Mashaaer Al Mugaddassah Metro Project, Macca Saudi Arabia". raillynews.com. 2013-10-25.
- "Makkah to have four metro lines, 88 stations - Phase one of 188-km metro network to begin work in 2016". Gulf News. 2014-04-29. Retrieved 2014-06-07.
- "As China Woos Overseas Business, State-Owned Firms Take a Hit". Time. 2010-11-28. Retrieved 2017-06-11.
- "Prasarana wins Makkah metro consultancy contract". Railway Gazette International. 2014-11-28.
- "Jeddah and Makkah metro plans approved". Railway Gazette International. 2012-08-17.
- "Hajj pilgrims take the metro to Makkah". Railway Gazette International. 2010-11-15.
- "Mecca Metro" (PDF). SYSTRA. Retrieved 2015-09-28.
- "Saudi Cabinet Approves $16.5 Billion Mecca Metro System". Bloomberg News. 2012-08-14. Retrieved 2014-06-07.
- "Makkah Metro tender to be issued in January". Saudi Gazette. 2012-10-25. Archived from the original on 2014-04-07.
- "Makkah metro expansion plan". Railway Gazette International. 2011-08-11.
- Paul, Katie (2017-02-21). Potter, Mark (ed.). "Bechtel wins contract to run Saudi project management office". Reuters. Retrieved 2017-09-19.
- Abdel-Razzaq, Jumana. "Official: Tender for Makkah Metro may be awarded in 2018". www.constructionweekonline.com. Retrieved 2018-03-10.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mecca Metro.|