"Me and You" is a song written by Skip Ewing and Ray Herndon, the latter of whom was formerly the guitarist of the band McBride & the Ride. It was recorded by American country music singer Kenny Chesney, who included it on two albums: All I Need to Know (1995) and Me and You (1996). It was released in July 1996 as the second single and title track from the latter album, peaking at number 2 on the US country singles charts in 1996.
|"Me and You"|
|Single by Kenny Chesney|
|from the album Me and You|
|B-side||"I Finally Found Somebody"|
|Released||July 22, 1996|
|Kenny Chesney singles chronology|
"Me and You" is a mid-tempo ballad in which the male narrator tells of how he and his life partner complement each other. The song's main accompaniment comes from piano and a string section, with some pedal steel guitar flourishes.
Music video edit
The music video was directed by Chuck Kuhn, and premiered on CMT on July 26, 1996, during "The CMT Delivery Room". It was the first video of his career where Chesney had a haircut. It shows Chesney singing the song on a front porch, as well as interacting with various people. The video was shot in the town of Colton, Washington.
Chesney first recorded the song on his 1995 album All I Need to Know and in 1996 included it on his third studio album, Me and You. The song was released as a single in 1996 from the latter album.
Chart positions edit
"Me and You" debuted at number 68 on the Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks (now Hot Country Songs) charts dated for the week of July 20, 1996. The song spent twenty weeks on that chart, peaking at number 2 on the chart week of November 2, behind Clint Black's "Like the Rain". It also spend six weeks on the Bubbling Under Hot 100, peaking at number 12 on that chart (equivalent to number 112 on the Billboard Hot 100).
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||6|
|US Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles (Billboard)||12|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||2|
Year-end charts edit
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||75|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||37|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000‡|
‡ Sales+streaming figures based on certification alone.
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. "All I Need to Know review". Allmusic. Retrieved April 10, 2009.
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. "Me and You review". Allmusic. Retrieved April 10, 2009.
- "Top RPM Country Tracks: Issue 9926." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. November 25, 1996. Retrieved July 20, 2013.
- "Kenny Chesney Chart History (Bubbling Under Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Kenny Chesney Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard.
- "RPM Top 100 Country Tracks of 1996". RPM. December 16, 1996. Retrieved July 20, 2013.
- "Best of 1996: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 1996. Retrieved July 20, 2013.
- "American single certifications – Kenny Chesney – Me and You". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved August 12, 2022.