Like the Rain
"Like the Rain" is a song co-written and recorded by American country music artist Clint Black. It was recorded as one of several new tracks for his 1996 Greatest Hits package. Released in September 1996, the song became his 23rd chart single, and in October of that year, it became his tenth Number One hit on the Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks (now Hot Country Songs) charts. It held that position for three weeks. At the 1997 Grammy Awards, "Like the Rain" was nominated for the Best Male Country Vocal performance. The song was written by Black and Hayden Nicholas.
|"Like the Rain"|
|Single by Clint Black|
|from the album Greatest Hits|
|Released||September 2, 1996|
|Length||4:22 (album version)|
3:30 (single version)
|Clint Black singles chronology|
"Like the Rain" is a country ballad, backed mainly by acoustic guitar and piano, with heavy snare drum accents. The narrator tells of how he "never liked the rain" until he walked through it with his lover. In the chorus, he adds that he "can't believe [he] never liked the rain", and then elaborates that he is "falling for [her] now, just like the rain". The album version features the sounds of rain and thunder at the beginning and end. These sound effects were lacked from the single edit.
Black also re-recorded the song, at a slightly slower tempo, for his 2007 compilation The Love Songs.
Deborah Evans Price, of Billboard magazine reviewed the song favorably by saying that the song is a "moody offering with a driving melody and strong lyric." She goes on to say that Black "turns in his reliably potent vocal performance."
"Like the Rain" debuted at number 42 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks for the week of September 7, 1996.
|Canada Adult Contemporary (RPM)||47|
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||1|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||24|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||51|
- Whitburn, Joel (2008). Hot Country Songs 1944 to 2008. Record Research, Inc. pp. 50–51. ISBN 0-89820-177-2.
- Ferman, Dave (1997-02-26). "A Texas-size group of Texans are up for Grammys". Fort Worth Star-Telegram. Retrieved 2008-10-06.
- Billboard, September 14, 1996
- "Top RPM Adult Contemporary: Issue 9811." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. November 4, 1996. Retrieved July 20, 2013.
- "Top RPM Country Tracks: Issue 9867." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. November 4, 1996. Retrieved July 20, 2013.
- "Clint Black Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard.
- "RPM Top 100 Country Tracks of 1996". RPM. December 16, 1996. Retrieved July 20, 2013.
- "Best of 1996: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 1996. Retrieved July 20, 2013.