Mayakkam Enna (English: What is this illusion?) is a 2011 Indian Tamil musical drama film written and directed by Selvaraghavan and produced by Gemini Film Circuit in association with Aum Productions Selvaraghavan its own banner. It stars his brother Dhanush, along with newcomer Richa Gangopadhyay, and features music scored by G. V. Prakash Kumar while the cinematography was handled by Ramji. Mayakkam Enna depicts the story of an aspiring wildlife photographer and his struggles in life. The film, produced and distributed by Gemini Film Circuit, was released on 25 November 2011. after originally being slated to air on the same day as Osthi.. The film was also dubbed and released in Telugu as Mr.Karthik in 2017.
|Music by||G. V. Prakash Kumar|
|Edited by||Kola Bhaskar|
|Distributed by||Gemini Film Circuit|
Karthik Swaminathan (Dhanush), referred to as 'Genius' by his friends, is a freelance photographer who aspires to become a wildlife photographer like Madhesh Krishnasamy (Raviprakash). His friends Sunder Ramesh (Sunder Ramu), Shankar (Mathivanan Rajendran), Padmini (Pooja Devariya), and Vindhya (Shilpi Kiran) support him and his sister after the death of their parents.
One day, Sunder introduces Yamini (Richa Gangopadhyay) as his girlfriend to Karthik and his friends. On their first meeting, Karthik and Yamini have a bitter experience but slowly develop a special bond. Karthik tries to stay away from Yamini since he does not want to break his friend's heart, but a sequence of events brings them closer. Eventually, Sunder's father arranges for Karthik and Yamini to be married.
After their wedding, Karthik learns that Madhesh had used a photograph that he had taken to win a national award. After this incident, he turns into an alcoholic, and people start doubting his sanity. Yamini supports him, hoping that he will succeed one day. Days later, Karthik's drunken fit leads to Yamini's miscarriage, after which she stops talking to him. This makes Karthik come to terms with reality, and he mends his ways. He finally gets a break and becomes a professional wildlife photographer, and one of his photographs gets nominated for an International Photography Award, which he wins. On this occasion, Karthik thanks everyone for their support and Yamini for her faith in him and declares his love for her. Yamini finally relents and talks to Karthik as the film ends.
Selvaraghavan began a film featuring Dhanush and Richa Gangopadhyay, who had initially been signed to do another film with him. Richa began shooting for the film in Kannur in May 2011, and the film was wrapped up within three months. The title was finally changed to Mayakkam Enna from 'Idhu Maalai Nerathu Mayakkam' in August 2011, with reports suggesting that Dhanush would sport four different looks in the film. Selvaraghavan has since made it clear that the film has a totally different script from the film that had been shelved. It was said that Dhanush would be seen in various stages, as a boy just out of his teenage to an old man. Yuvan Shankar Raja replaced G.V.Prakash Kumar as music composer in the film, with the latter reporting it was due to "money and time issues". However, in a sensational turn, G.V.Prakash Kumar was assigned again as composer after Yuvan Shankar Raja moved out of the project as he was busy with other commitments and could not give priority to Selvaraghavan, who was in rush to complete the film and move over to his next project, Vishwaroopam. On 24 May 2011, it was announced that Selvaraghavan was ousted from the project. Television actress Deepa Venkat dubbed the voice of the female lead.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||25 September 2011|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Producer||G. V. Prakash Kumar|
|G. V. Prakash Kumar chronology|
The soundtrack, composed by G. V. Prakash Kumar in his second collaboration with Selvaraghavan (after Aayirathil Oruvan), was released on 19 September 2011 at Radio Mirchi's Chennai station. The soundtrack has received generally positive reviews. Behindwoods commented it was "intoxicating enough", giving 3.5 out of 5.
|1.||"Naan Sonnadhum Mazhaivandhucha"||Selvaraghavan||Naresh Iyer, Saindhavi||05:29|
|2.||"Pirai Thedum"||Dhanush||G. V. Prakash Kumar, Saindhavi||05:32|
|3.||"Voda Voda Dhooram Korayala"||Selvaraghavan, Dhanush||Dhanush||04:36|
|4.||"Ennena Seidhom Ingu"||Selvaraghavan||Harish Raghavendra||04:26|
|5.||"Kadhal En Kadhal"||Dhanush & Selvaraghavan||Dhanush & Selvaraghavan||06:07|
|6.||"Mayakkam Enna Theme"||—||—||02:51|
CNN-IBN wrote that Selvaraghavan had "succeeded in presenting a sensitive and engaging movie". The Times Of India gave 3.5 out of 5, citing: "...with Mayakkam Enna he [Dhanush] proves why he is one of the best actors around". Deccan Chronicle gave 3.5 out of 5 and stated that it had a "fresh appeal and is straight from the heart without any clichéd frills". The New Indian Express wrote: "A sensitively crafted screenplay, deft narration, stunning vignettes and montages, and a brilliant performance by the lead pair, makes Mayakkam Enna a fascinating watch". Deccan Herald wrote that it was "entertaining and worth a watch".
NDTV stated it was a film "with soul and worth a watch". In regard to Dhanush's performance, it wrote: "His myriad emotions elevate the movie to a great extent". The review in The Hindu says: "Selvaraghavan knows where his potential lies and has tapped it suitably." Pavithra Srinivasan of Rediff gave the film 3 out of 5 and wrote: "[It] has a brilliant first half but the film looses the steam in the second half". Sify claimed: "Simplistic story with a hard hitting impact, Mayakkam Enna will stay with you". Behindwoods rated 3.5/5 and called it "emotionally rich" and an "inebriating experience by itself". Indiaglitz cited that it does "mesmerize you and you will definitely consider watching this film more than once". Oneindia wrote that it was a "treat for youngsters".
- "Dhanush-Selva quickie!". Sify.com. 8 November 2008. Retrieved 28 November 2011.
- "The Release date". Behindwoods.com. 15 November 2011. Retrieved 28 November 2011.
- "Dhanush gets Simbu's heroine! - Times Of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 12 May 2011. Retrieved 28 November 2011.
- url=http://anecdotesofananth.blogspot.in/2011/11/mayakkam-enna.html |title=Another Selva's Master Piece! |publisher=anecdotesofananth}}
- "Richa in, Andrea out?". The Times of India. 11 May 2011. Retrieved 28 November 2011.
- "It's 'Mayakkam Enna' for Dhanush - Selva, tidbits on audio! - Tamil Movie News". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 28 November 2011.
- "Dhanush to sport three looks in 'Irandam Ulagam' - Tamil Movie News". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 28 November 2011.
- "Selva clears the air about Mayakkam Enna". Sify. Retrieved 28 November 2011.
- "Interesting tidbits on Dhanush's 'Mayakkam Enna' - Tamil Movie News". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 28 November 2011.
- "Yuvan replaces GV in Selva's film". Sify.com. Retrieved 28 November 2011.
- "GV Prakash makes his point". Sify. Retrieved 28 November 2011.
- "Kamal takes over Viswaroopam from Selva". Sify. Retrieved 29 August 2011.
- "GV Prakash replaces Yuvan Shankar Raja". The Times Of India. 3 April 2011. Retrieved 28 November 2011.
- "Mayakkam Enna – Music Review". behindwoods.com. Retrieved 21 October 2011.
- "Tamil Review: 'Mayakkam Enna' is engaging". ibnlive.com. Retrieved 27 November 2011.
- "Review: Mayakkam Enna". The Times of India. Retrieved 2 December 2011.
- "Mayakkam Enna review: Brothers churn out a winner again". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 27 November 2011.
- "Mayakkam Enna". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 27 November 2011.
- "Mayakkam Enna review". Deccan Herald.
- "Review in pics: Mayakkam Enna". NDTV.
- Rangarajan, Malathi (3 December 2011). "Movie Review:Mayakkam Enna - Love's labour not lost". Chennai, India: The Hindu. Retrieved 3 December 2011.
- "Review: Mayakkam Enna is worth a watch". Rediff.com. 25 November 2011. Retrieved 26 November 2011.
- "Movie Review:Mayakkam Enna leaves you wanting more". Sify. Retrieved 28 November 2011.
- "Mayakkam Enna Review - Mayakkam Enna Movie Review". Behindwoods.com. Retrieved 28 November 2011.
- "Mayakkam Enna Tamil Movie Review - cinema preview stills gallery trailer video clips showtimes". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 28 November 2011.
- "Mayakkam Enna movie Review". Oneindia.in. Retrieved 25 November 2011.
- "Vijay and Richa win Edison Awards". Behindwoods. Retrieved 13 February 2012.
- "Vishal and Richa are the big winners!". Behindwoods. Retrieved 30 April 2012.