Ben Jacobs, more commonly known by the stage name Max Tundra, is an English multi-instrumental musician, singer and music producer. His work is predominantly electronic music but incorporates non-electronic styles and instruments.
Max Tundra in 2007.
|Birth name||Ben Jacobs|
|Labels||Domino Recording Company|
|Associated acts||Tunng, Daphne and Celeste|
Other than his full-length albums, he has also done remix work for bands of varying genres including Franz Ferdinand, Architecture in Helsinki, Kid606 and the Pet Shop Boys. In 2018, Tundra wrote and produced the comeback album by Daphne and Celeste, entitled Daphne and Celeste Save the World.
Max Tundra was born in the United Kingdom and grew up taking piano lessons, but mostly enjoyed playing television theme songs and music from adverts. As a teenager, he bought a Commodore Amiga 500 and began exploring electronic music with it. Warp Records received one song he recorded titled "Children at Play" and released it as a single in 1998. Following this single his debut album Some Best Friend You Turned Out to Be was released by Domino Records in the UK in 2000.
The instrumental record was followed up with Mastered by Guy at the Exchange, his first to use vocals. Max Tundra explained "When I was writing Some Best Friend, I thought of all sorts of weird and wonderful machines and instruments I could use to make noises, but singing never occurred to me. I had never considered using my voice on any Max Tundra record ever, but hey, I like to keep things varied, so this time round I figured what the hell!" Mastered By Guy at the Exchange received positive reviews, including being named the 12th top album of the year on Pitchfork Media's list of top 50 albums of 2002.
In 2006, Max Tundra released a new single as part of Tomlab records "Alphabet Series" for the Letter M. The single included a cover of The KLF's "What Time Is Love?", made with his Amiga in 1989. In 2008, Max Tundra toured the UK with Hot Chip and released the album Parallax Error Beheads You which he had worked on for six years. The first single from the album was "Will Get Fooled Again" and was released on 29 September 2008.
On 5 June 2010, Max Tundra effectively announced on Twitter that Parallax Error Beheads You would be the final Max Tundra album. However, in a radio interview from May 2011, he mentioned that he was only taking a break in order to focus on his remix and production work. On 30 March 2012, he claimed on Twitter that he had begun working on a new Max Tundra album.
In 2011, Max Tundra contacted pop duo Daphne and Celeste through social media to offer his production to make a comeback. A single for their song "You and I Alone" was released in 2015, written and produced by Max Tundra. Three years later, Max Tundra announced a full length studio album he had produced for Daphne and Celeste set for release as Daphne and Celeste Save the World on March 30 through Max Tundra's Balatonic label.
Year Title 2000 Some Best Friend You Turned Out to Be 2002 Mastered by Guy at the Exchange
- Released: 2 September 2002
- Label: Domino / Tigerbeat6
- Formats: CD, LP
2008 Parallax Error Beheads You
- Released: 20 October 2008
- Label: Domino
- Formats: CD, LP
Year Title Album Label 1998 "Children at Play" non-album single. Warp 2000 "Cakes" Some Best Friend You Turned Out to Be Domino "Ink Me" 2001 "QY20 Songs" non-album single. 2002 "Lysine" Mastered By Guy at the Exchange 2003 "Cabasa" 2006 "Alphabet Series: M" non-album single Tomlab 2008 "Will Get Fooled Again" Parallax Error Beheads You Domino
Year Remixed track Released on Artist(s) 1998 "Helicon 2" Kicking a Dead Pig: Mogwai Songs Remixed Mogwai 2000 "Dandy" Kid 606 and Friends Volume 1 Kid606 "Wow" "Wow" Janek Schaefer 2001 "Lilypad" Altered and Proud Ruby 2002 "Long Distance" "Long Distance" Turin Brakes "Whindie" Whindie Ambulance 2004 "Alone, Together" "All Hail The Black Emperor" The Strokes "The Owls Go" A Commemorative Keepsake Architecture in Helsinki "Mein Nehi Jana" "Mein Nehi Jana" Future Pilot AKA 2005 "Decent Days and Nights" "Decent Days and Nights" The Futureheads "The Effect on Me" "The Effect on Me" Mint Royale 2006 "Do You Want To" "The Fallen" Franz Ferdinand "I'm with Stupid" "I'm with Stupid" Pet Shop Boys 2007 "Fledermaus Can't Get It" "Fledermaus Can't Get It" Von Südenfed "Hold Music" Like It or Not Architecture in Helsinki "Bullets" "Bullets" Tunng 2008 "Enough About Human Rights" (forthcoming) Moondog
- "Domino – Max Tundra". Domino Recording Company. Domino Recording Company. Retrieved 25 August 2008.
- "Some Best Friend You Turned Out to Be". Domino Recording Company. Domino Recording Company. Retrieved 25 August 2008.
- Dahlen, Chris (9 September 2002). "Max Tundra: Mastered by Guy at the Exchange Album Review". pitchfork.com. Retrieved 12 October 2016.
- LeMay, Matt (1 January 2002). "Interview: Max Tundra". Pitchfork Media. Pitchfork Media. Retrieved 25 August 2008.
- Marshall, Kingsley. "allmusic (( Mastered By Guy at the Exchange))". Allmusic. Allmusic. Archived from the original on 3 June 2009. Retrieved 25 August 2008.
- Marsh, Peter (20 October 2002). "BBC – Experimental Review". BBC. BBC. Retrieved 25 August 2008.
- Dahlen, Chris (20 October 2002). "Mastered by the Guy at the Exchange Pitchfork Media". Pitchfork Media. Pitchfork Media. Archived from the original on 28 August 2008. Retrieved 25 August 2008.
- Abebe, Nitsuh (1 January 2003). "Top 50 Albums of 2002". Pitchfork Media. Pitchfork Media. Archived from the original on 5 September 2008. Retrieved 2008-08-25.
- "Max Tundra Alphabet -M-". tomlab.com. Tomlab. Retrieved 25 August 2008.
- "I Was Partially Right: Max Tundra Readies Parallax Error Beheads You in Preparation for Hot Chip Tour". tinymixtapes.com. Tiny Mix Tapes. 8 July 2008. Retrieved 25 August 2008.[dead link]
- "New Max Tundra record on the way". Drowned in Sound. Drowned in Sound. 8 July 2008. Retrieved 25 August 2008.
- "Max Tundra's Tweet".
- "Interesting Alternative Show 05-09-2011".
- "Max Tundra's Other Tweet".
- Jonze, Tim (29 March 2015). "Daphne and Celeste: 'They hated us so much!'". The Guardian. Retrieved 6 May 2015.
- Monroe, Jazz (7 February 2018). "Daphne & Celeste Enlist Max Tundra for New Album, Share Song: Listen". Pitchfork. Retrieved 9 February 2018.