Tigerbeat6 is a San Francisco and Berlin based independent and (mostly) electronic record label run by Kid606 (Miguel De Pedro). The label is run as a DIY operation and releases a variety of electronic music styles, including noisecore, intelligent dance music, bedroom pop, folktronica, and electronica-driven hip hop. The name reflects De Pedro's obsession with cats, which also comes to light in the catalogue numbers, all of which start with MEOW. It is also a loose reference to the top-selling teen magazine Tiger Beat. The label's first release was in 2000; it has over two hundred releases in total.[failed verification] A 2001 compilation of the label's output was described as "stripping intelligent dance music of its intelligence[,] often resorting to outright silliness, and sometimes parody." The A.V. Club described the same compilation as satirizing glitch through "gestures borrowed from punk, indie-rock, and hip-hop."
|Founder||Miguel Trost De Pedro|
|Genre||Electronic, experimental, IDM, glitch/glitch hop, hip hop|
|Country of origin||U.S.|
|Location||San Francisco, California; Berlin|
Tigerbeat6 has four sublabels: Nibbana, Shockout, Tigerbass, and Violent Turd.
- Peter Shapiro (October 2001). "Kid606 Beats and the brat". The Wire.
- Kid 606, Cex & the Tigerbeat label. Sound On Sound, June 2004.
- Andrew Ryce (August 2013). "Kid606 finds Happiness". Resident Advisor.
- Tigerbeat6, Inc.. Pitchfork Media, September 2001.
- Tigerbeat6, Inc. The A.V. Club, April 19, 2002.