Matt Wilson (comics artist)
The Wicked + The Divine
|Awards||Eisner Award 2017|
Matt Wilson attended Savannah College of Art and Design in Georgia to complete a degree in Sequential Art. After college, he found he was more interested in working in story boarding, character design, and sculpting.
Wilson's early professional coloring work was as a member of Lee Loughridge's Savanah-based color studio, Zylonol, where he replaced Nick Dragotta. His time as part of this team allowed him to develop his craft and build up experience in delivering books. He branched out into taking coloring jobs on under his own name, starting in 2008, through contacts including Ivan Brandon, Rick Remender, Jamie McKelvie and Kieron Gillen. This led to his first credited work on McKelvie's Suburban Glamour. Since then, he has worked widely across the industry for series published by DC, Marvel, Image and Dark Horse.
Wilson sees the choice of palette to be crucial, whether for the story and the specific scene – as "they're the first thing a reader sees" when they open the book, relating to the emotion, location and time within a story. Additionally, he emphasizes color theory as crucial before the use of other rendering techniques, such as textures, highlights and shadows. He also stresses the importance of working with the rest of a book's creative team from the outset and throughout.
- Suburban Glamour (2008-9, with Jamie McKelvie)
- Phonogram (2008, 2015 with Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie)
- Wonder Woman (2011–14, with Cliff Chiang and Brian Azzarello)
- Men of War (2011, with Ivan Brandon and Tom Derenick)
- Swamp Thing, (2011–2014, with Charles Soule and Jesús Saíz)
- Secret Avengers (2011–15, with Rick Remender, Renato Guedes, Matteo Scalera, Aleš Kot, Michael Walsh, Warren Ellis, and Jamie McKelvie)
- Young Avengers (2013–14, with Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie)
- Terminator Salvation: The Final Battle (2013, with J. Michael Straczynski and Pete Woods)
- The Wicked + The Divine (2014– , with Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie)
- Daredevil, (2014, with Mark Waid and Chris Samnee)
- Cry Havoc (2015–, with Ryan Kelly, Nick FilardI and Lee Loughridge)
- Paper Girls (2015–ongoing, with Brian K. Vaughan and Cliff Chiang)
- Black Widow (2015–16, with Mark Waid and Chris Samnee)
- The Mighty Thor (2016–, with Jason Aaron and Russell Dauterman)
- Star-Lord (2016–2017, with Chip Zdarsky)
- Runaways (2017-ongoing, with Rainbow Rowell)
- "Color Commentary: Matt Wilson's Career in Coloring". CBR.com. December 29, 2014.
- "Colorist Matthew Wilson: "It's Better Than Diggin' Ditches" [Interview]". The Beat. Retrieved 2017-07-28.
- "Matthew Wilson". DC. Retrieved 2017-07-28.
- "Matthew Wilson". marvel.com. Retrieved 2017-07-28.
- "Matt Wilson | Creators | Image Comics". imagecomics.com. Retrieved 2017-07-28.
- "2015 EISNER AWARD Nominations". Newsarama. Retrieved 2017-07-28.
- "2015 Harvey Award Nominees Announced". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2017-07-28.
- "NYCC 2015: Interview with 'WicDiv' Colorist Matthew Wilson". PopOptiq. 16 October 2015. Retrieved 2017-07-28.
- "Matthew Wilson (Person) – Comic Vine". Comic Vine. Retrieved 2017-07-28.