|Location||Matsumoto and Shiojiri, Nagano Japan|
|Elevation AMSL||2,157 ft / 657 m|
Source: Japanese Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism
Opened on July 16, 1965, Matsumoto Airport is located approximately 9 kilometers southwest of the center of Matsumoto city, straddling the border between Matsumoto and the city of Shiojiri, Nagano. The airport is located roughly in the center of Nagano Prefecture. Regularly scheduled flights are for domestic service only. It is located at the highest elevation (657.5 m) of any commercial airport in Japan, and is surrounded by high mountains, which impose restrictions on the type of aircraft which can service the destination. The runway was lengthened to 2000 meters in 1994 to accommodate jet aircraft, and a new passenger terminal building started operation.
In the past, the airport was served by Japan Air System, mostly using MD-87 aircraft before being integrated into JAL. In FY 2013 its load factors passed 70% for the first time since its expansion. The airport and surrounding region cater to mountaineers during summer months and to skiers during winter months. Japan Airlines operated regular service to Osaka until 2010. However, since recovering from bankruptcy, Japan Airlines has resumed seasonal service to Matsumoto Airport from Osaka Itami Airport using the Embraer E170 aircraft. Other airlines from Korea, Russia and China occasionally fly charter flights to Matsumoto.
Airlines and destinationsEdit
|Japan Airlines||Seasonal: Osaka–Itami|
|Fuji Dream Airlines||Fukuoka, Sapporo–Chitose|
- "Matsumoto Airport" (PDF). Japanese Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism. Archived from the original (PDF) on 21 October 2016. Retrieved 7 January 2017.
- AIS Japan Archived 2016-05-17 at the Portuguese Web Archive
- "松本空港、搭乗率７割超で最高に 13年度". Nihon Keizai Shimbun. 19 April 2014. Retrieved 21 April 2014.
Media related to Matsumoto Airport at Wikimedia Commons
- Shinshu Matsumoto Airport
- Shinshu Matsumoto Airport from Nagano Prefecture
- Shinshu-Matsumoto Airport Guide from Japan Airlines
- Current weather for RJAF at NOAA/NWS
- Accident history for MMJ at Aviation Safety Network
|This article about a Japanese airport is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Nagano Prefecture location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|