Ustad Mashkoor Ali Khan is an Indian classical singer and teacher from the Kirana musical style. As the grandson of Abdul Karim Khan, a founder of the Kirana style, he is a descendant of the gharana's family lineage. He was educated by his father, sarangi player Shakoor Khan.
Mashkoor Ali Khan
|Born||27 February 1957|
Mashkoor Ali Khan performs as an A-grade artist with All India Radio, and is on the faculty of the ITC Sangeet Research Academy, a prominent institution of Indian Classical Music, as their senior teacher of the Kirana style.
Contributions to musicology edit
As a scholar, Khan is also known for his work preserving traditional musical compositions and has collected one of the largest archives of unique bandishes (musical compositions) in the world, partially inherited as the grandson of Abdul Karim Khan and grandnephew of Abdul Wahid Khan – the founders of the Kirana gharana.
Notable students include his nephews Amjad Ali Khan and Arshad Ali Khan, Sandip Bhattacharjee, the late Shanti Sharma, and the American composer/pianist Michael Harrison who he has also performed with. He is also currently training his daughter Shahana Ali Khan.
Recipient of the prestigious Sangeet Natak Akademi Award for 2015, Mashkoor Ali Khan has received many other awards as well, including the Abhinav Kala Sammelan (1993), the Master Dinanath Mangeshkar (1994), the Swaranjali (1997), the Best Vocalist Award by the Bharatiya Sanskriti Samsad (1990) and the Ustad Niaz Ahmed Khan and Faiyyaz Ahmed Khan Memorial Award (2004), and Hindusthan Art & Music Society's Gandharva award (2012). The Salt Lake Cultural Association of Kolkata gave him the title of Bandish Nawaz in 1998, and Sangeet Ratna in 2002.
- New York, Volume 40, Issues 16–23, p. 166
- "Mashkoor Ali Khan". The Rubin Museum. Retrieved 15 July 2015.
- "Shakoor Khan". Sangi Rangi. Retrieved 16 July 2015.
- "Faculty Listing". ITC Sangeet Research Academy. Archived from the original on 21 July 2015. Retrieved 16 July 2015.
- Sruti, June 2015, Issue 244, p. 45
- "17th ITC SRA Sangeet Sammelan". ITC Sangeet Research Academy. Retrieved 16 July 2015.
- "There is no limit to talent". Sakal Times. 11 December 2015. Retrieved 30 January 2017.
- Kozinn, Allan (22 June 2010). "Celebrating With a Democratic Spirit". The New York Times. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- "Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellowships (Akademi Ratna) and Sangeet Natak Akademi Awards - JK MONITOR". www.jkmonitor.org. Archived from the original on 23 October 2016.
- "Brij Narayan, Mandakini Trivedi among winners of Sangeet Natak Akademi Awards 2015".
- Belgaumkar, Govind (23 November 2010). "Mashkoor Ali Khan gives taste of good music". The Hindu. Retrieved 16 July 2015.
- 2006 Report – Government of India, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, All India Radio Awards Section