Mary Grey (theologian)
Mary Cecilia Grey (born 16 June 1941 at Houghton-le-Spring, County Durham, UK) is a Roman Catholic ecofeminist liberation theologian in the United Kingdom She edited the journal Ecotheology for 10 years. Grey is currently a professorial research fellow at St Mary's University, Twickenham. She has previously been a professor teaching pastoral theology at the University of Wales, Lampeter; contemporary theology at the University of Southampton, La Sainte Union; and Feminism and Christianity at the Catholic University of Nijmegen in the Netherlands.
|Mary Cecilia Grey|
16 June 1941|
Houghton-le-Spring, County Durham, UK
|Title||Professorial research fellow at St Mary's University, Twickenham|
|Education||Oxford University, Catholic University of Louvain|
|Sub-discipline||Liberation theology, Ecofeminism|
University of Surrey|
Catholic University of Nijmegen
University of Southampton
University of Glasgow
University of Wales
|Main interests||Reconciliation theology|
|Notable works||The Outrageous Pursuit of Hope - Prophetic Dreams for the 21st Century (2010)|
Grey completed a BA and MA from the University of Oxford, as well as a Diploma in Pastoral Catechetics, an MA in Religious Studies, a Bachelor of Sacred Theology, and a PhD from the Catholic University of Louvain in Belgium. She is an honorary fellow of Sarum College, Salisbury, and was president of the European Society of Women in Theological Research from 1989-1991.
Her research has focused primarily on feminist liberation theology and spiritualities, but has also encompassed ecofeminist theology, ecological theology and spirituality, Indian liberation theology, Christian–Jewish-Palestinian reconciliation, systematic theology from a feminist perspective and the relationship between social justice and theology. Her current work focuses on reconciliation, connecting reconciliation with the earth and reconciliation among ethnic groups.
In recent years, she has given particular focus to reconciliation in Israel and Palestine. Accordingly, she is Chair of Living Stones of the Holy Land Trust, and organization working for justice and peace in the Holy Lands. Grey also serves as Chair of the Theology Group of Friends of Sabeel UK and as a trustee of the Balfour Project, which recognizes Britain's historical role in creating a situation of conflict between Israel and Palestine.
Grey has been involved in a number of other nonprofit organisations. She co-founded Wells for India, a water-based organisation[clarification needed] in Rajasthan, India with Dr. Nicholas Grey and they currently serve as co-presidents Grey also serves as Patron of both the Dalit Solidarity Network UK and the Centre for Theology and Health, Holy Rood House, Thirsk, UK.
- Grey, Mary (1987). Christian Feminist Spirituality of Redemption as Mutuality- in- Relation (Ph.D.). University of Louvain.
- Grey, Mary (1983). In Search of the Sacred: The Sacraments and Parish Renewal. Wheathampstead: Anthony Clarke Books. ISBN 978-0-856-50065-7.
- ——— (1989). Redeeming the Dream: Feminism, Redemption and Christian tradition (3. impr. ed.). London: SPCK Publishing. ISBN 0-281-04410-4.
- ———; Zipfel, Richard (1991). From Barriers to Community: the Challenge of the Gospel for a Divided Society. London: Harper Collins. ISBN 978-0-005-99265-4.
- ——— (1993). The Wisdom of Fools?: Seeking Revelation for Today ([2nd impress.] ed.). London: SPCK Publishing. ISBN 0-281-04659-X.
- ——— (1997). Prophecy and Mysticism: the Heart of the Postmodern Church. Edinburgh: T & T Clark. ISBN 0-567-08587-2.
- ——— (1997). Beyond the Dark Night: a Way Forward for the Church?. London: Cassell ; Continuum. ISBN 0-304-33753-6.
- ——— (2000). The Outrageous Pursuit of Hope - Prophetic Dreams for the 21st Century. London: Darton, Longman & Todd. ISBN 0-232-52319-3.
- ——— (2001). Introducing Feminist Images of God. Sheffield: Sheffield Academic Press ; Pilgrim. ISBN 1-84127-160-8.
- ——— (2004). Sacred Longings: the Ecological Spirit and Global Culture (1st SCM Press ed.). London ; Minneapolis, MN: SCM Press ; Fortress Press. ISBN 0-8006-3647-3.
- ———; Cohn-Sherbok, Dan (2005). Pursuing the Dream: A Jewish-Christian Conversation. London: Darton, Longman & Todd. ISBN 978-0-232-52540-3.
- ——— (2007). To Rwanda and Back: Liberation Spirituality and Reconciliation. London: Darton, Longman & Todd. ISBN 978-0-232-52664-6.
- ——— (2010). Sacred Longings: Ecofeminist Theology and Globalisation (Reissue ed.). Minneapolis, MN: SCM Press. ISBN 978-0-334-02928-1.
- ——— (2010). A Cry for Dignity: Religion, Violence and the Struggle of Dalit Women in India. London: Routledge. ISBN 978-1-845-53605-3.
- ——— (2010). The Advent of Peace. London: SPCK Publishing. ISBN 978-0-281-06232-4.
- ——— (2012). The Resurrection of Peace: A Gospel Journey to Easter and Beyond. London: SPCK Publishing. ISBN 978-0-281-06637-7.
- ———; Cohn-Sherbok, Dan (2014). Debating Palestine and Israel. Impress Books. ISBN 978-1-907-60549-9.
- ——— (2015). The Spirit of Peace: Pentecost and Affliction in the Middle East. Durham, UK: Sacristy Press. ISBN 978-1-908381-20-0.
- ——— (September 1998). "The Decline and Fall of the Second Millennium: final Chapter or New Beginning for Christianity?". New Blackfriars. 79 (931): 364–376.
- ——— (1999). "Tragedy in Feminist theology - an End to Absolutes?". Bulletin of the European Society for Catholic Theology. 10 (1): 43–54.
- ——— (1999). "Praxis". British Journal of Religious Education. 21 (2): 112–120.
- ——— (May 1999). "Eden". Feminist Theology (21): 8–20.
- Grey, Mary Cecilia. "CURRICULUM VITAE of Mary Grey, dean of studies". Catherine of Siena Virtual College. Archived from the original on 15 March 2016.
- Merrigan, John (16 December 2015). "Searching for peace in the Holy Lands: a Spirituality of Hope and Steadfastness (Lecture Abstract)". Retrieved 1 June 2017.
- "Book Launch with Professor Mary Grey". Sarum College. 6 March 2015. Retrieved 1 June 2017.
- Women Priests Patrons. Rickmansworth, UK: Wijngaards Institute for Catholic Research http://www.womenpriests.org/care/patrons.asp. Retrieved 1 May 2017. Missing or empty
- "Professor Mary Grey". Gresham College. Retrieved 1 June 2017.
- "Professor Mary Grey". York St John University. 6 May 2009. Retrieved 1 May 2017.
- cf. "Honorary Research Fellows". Retrieved 1 June 2017.
- Snook, Sebastian (3 February 2015). "Book Launch with Professor Mary Grey". Retrieved 1 June 2017.
- "About". The Balfour Project. Retrieved 2 June 2017.
- "Summer School A Cosmological and Ecological Approach to Healing" (PDF). Holy Rood House. 26 March 2015. Retrieved 1 June 2017.