Martin Warner (bishop)
|The Right Reverend
|Bishop of Chichester|
|Church||Church of England|
|Diocese||Diocese of Chichester|
|Other posts||Bishop of Whitby (2010–2012)|
|Consecration||26 January 2010
by John Sentamu
|Born||24 December 1958|
|Residence||The Palace, Chichester|
|Alma mater||University of Durham|
Early life and educationEdit
Warner was educated at King's School, Rochester, Maidstone Grammar School, St Chad's College and the University of Durham in the 1970s. He then trained for ordination at St Stephen's House, Oxford, later earning a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree at the University of Durham.
- Assistant Curate at St Peter's, Plymouth (1984–1988)
- Team Vicar of the Parish of the Resurrection, Leicester (1988–1993)
- Administrator of the Anglican Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham (1993–2002)
- Priest in Charge of Hempton with Pudding Norton (1998–2000)
- Honorary Canon of Norwich Cathedral (2000–?)
- Associate Vicar at St Andrew, Holborn (2002–2003)
Warner was consecrated as a bishop in the Church of England at York Minster on 26 January 2010 and then welcomed on 30 January 2010 at St Hilda's Church, Whitby. He suffered a cardiac arrest on 23 August 2010 while on holiday in Florence, but has since returned to work. From 2008 to 2011, Warner wrote the weekly "Sunday's Readings" column for the Church Times.
On 3 May 2012, Warner's appointment as the next diocesan Bishop of Chichester was announced, his election was confirmed on 2 July and his enthronement took place in Chichester Cathedral on 25 November.
On 20 November 2012, Warner was one of three diocesan bishops in the General Synod who voted against a motion to allow the ordination of women as bishops in the Church of England. His position on the issue has been criticised by some local clergy and parishioners across the Chichester diocese.
In a compromise by John Sentamu, Archbishop of York, to whom the candidate professed canonical obedience, Warner officiated as principal celebrant in the laying-on of hands and Eucharist for the episcopal consecration of Philip North as suffragan Bishop of Burnley at York Minster on 2 February 2015 (Feast of Candlemas).
- Diocese of York — Consecration of the Bishop of Whitby
- Warner, Martin Clive. ukwhoswho.com. Who's Who. 2017 (November 2016 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 13 June 2017.
- St Paul's Annual Report 2008
- Diocese of York — Service of Welcome for the Bishop of Whitby
- "Bishop Martin Warner taken ill". The Diocese of York. 24 August 2010. Retrieved 25 August 2010.
- Diocese of York — Update from Bishop Martin
- Number 10 – Diocese of Chichester
- The Chichester Diocesan Fund and Board of Finance Incorporated – Report of the Board and Financial Statements for the year ended 31 December 2012 p. 6 (Accessed 15 July 2013)
- Diocese of Chichester — “Do not be afraid” says new Bishop as he surveys national and local challenges
- "General Synod — November 2012 — Electronic voting results for Item 501". Thinking Anglicans. 20 November 2012. Retrieved 1 December 2012.
- "Chichester Observer — Women bishops row heats up in Chichester". Chichester Observer. 30 November 2012. Retrieved 1 December 2012.
- "The Council of Bishops". The Society. Retrieved 6 December 2015.
|Church of England titles|
|Bishop of Chichester