Verna Martha Wentworth (June 2, 1889 – March 8, 1974) was an American actress. Her vocal variety led to her being called the "actress of 100 voices".
Martha Wentworth standing at center in The Stranger (1946)
Verna Martha Wentworth
June 2, 1889
New York City, New York, U.S.
|Died||March 8, 1974 (aged 84)|
Wentworth was born in New York City. After graduating from public schools, she attended the National School of Expression. She was one of Minnie Maddern Fiske's proteges and appeared in several stage productions, beginning when she was 17 years old.
Wentworth's long radio career began in the early 1920s. She played The Wintergreen Witch on The Cinnamon Bear (1937) radio program,:76 Annie Wood and Mrs. Littlefield on Crime Classics (1953), and Ma Danields on The Gallant Heart (1944). She portrayed Joe Penner's mother on The Park Avenue Penners.:265 She also had semi-regular roles on Broadway Is My Beat, On Stage, The Witch's Tale,:356 The Baby Snooks Show,:32 and The Abbott and Costello Show.
Later years and deathEdit
This section does not cite any sources. (April 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
She later became a film actress in the 1940s, starring in several Red Ryder Western films. She was in “Lassie” as neighbor Bertha aired on 3/22/1959 in season 5 episode 29. Two of her well known roles is when she worked as a voice artist for Walt Disney Productions; as Nanny, Queenie the Cow and Lucy the Goose in One Hundred and One Dalmatians (1961) and as Madame Mim in The Sword in the Stone (1963), her final credited film appearance two years later.
She died on March 8, 1974 at age 84.
- Prison Shadows (1936) - Mrs. Murphy (uncredited)
- I Love to Singa (1936, Merrie Melodies short) - Mother Owl (voice, uncredited)
- At Your Service Madame (1936, Merrie Melodies short) - Mrs. Hamhock (voice, uncredited)
- Don't Look Now (1936, Merrie Melodies short) - Lady Woodpecker (voice, uncredited)
- He Was Her Man (1937, Merrie Melodies short) - Widow Mouse (voice, uncredited)
- Pigs Is Pigs (1937, Merrie Melodies short) - Mrs. Hamhock (voice, uncredited)
- Waterloo Bridge (1940) - Tart on Bridge at the End (uncredited)
- Wildcat Bus (1940) - Mrs. Waters (uncredited)
- Who Killed Aunt Maggie? (1940) - Housekeeper (uncredited)
- Bowery Blitzkrieg (1941) - Mrs. Brady
- Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1941) - Landlady (uncredited)
- Fraidy Cat (1942, Tom and Jerry short) - woman in "witching hour" radio program. (voice)
- The Adventures of Martin Eden (1942) - Proprietress (uncredited)
- Clancy Street Boys (1943) - Mrs. Molly McGinnis
- Strange Affair (1944) - Proprietress (uncredited)
- A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (1945) - Sheila's Mother (uncredited)
- Fallen Angel (1945) - Hotel Maid (uncredited)
- Adventure (1945) - Woman (uncredited)
- The Stranger (1946) - Sara
- Santa Fe Uprising (1946) - The Duchess
- Stagecoach to Denver (1946) - The Duchess (Red's Aunt)
- Vigilantes of Boomtown (1947) - Duchess Wentworth
- Oregon Trail Scouts (1947) - The Duchess
- Rustlers of Devil's Canyon (1947) - The Duchess
- Marshal of Cripple Creek (1947) - The Duchess
- His Bitter Half (1950, Merrie Melodies short) - Daffy Duck's wife (voice, uncredited)
- Love Nest (1951) - Mrs. Thompson (uncredited)
- She Couldn't Say No (1952) - Mrs. Holbert (uncredited)
- Young Man with Ideas (1952) - Mrs. Hammerty
- You for Me (1952) - Lucille's Mother (uncredited)
- O. Henry's Full House (1952) - Mrs. O'Brien (segment "The Last Leaf") (uncredited)
- My Man and I (1952) - Nancy's Landlady (uncredited)
- The Clown (1953) - Neighbor (uncredited)
- One Girl's Confession (1953) - Old Lady
- The Human Jungle (1954) - Marcy, Janitress (uncredited)
- Jupiter's Darling (1955) - Widow Titus
- Blackboard Jungle (1955) - Mrs. Lucy Brophy (uncredited)
- Artists and Models (1955) - Fat Lady (uncredited)
- Good Morning, Miss Dove (1955) - Annie Holloway (uncredited)
- The Man with the Golden Arm (1955) - Vangie (uncredited)
- The Killer Is Loose (1956) - Apartment House Manager's Wife (uncredited)
- Rock Around the Clock (1956) - Miss Anna Dunlap - Chaperone (uncredited)
- The Desperados Are in Town (1956) - Mrs. Joan Tawson (uncredited)
- Monkey on My Back (1957) - Landlady (uncredited)
- The Daughter of Dr. Jekyll (1957) - Mrs. Felicity Merchant
- Go, Johnny, Go! (1959) - Mrs. Kimberley McGillicuddy
- The Beatniks (1960) - Nadine
- One Hundred and One Dalmatians (1961) - Nanny / Queenie / Lucy (voice)
- The Sword in the Stone (1963) - Old Lady Squirrel / Madam Mim (voice) (final film role)
- Hischak, Thomas S. (2011). Disney Voice Actors: A Biographical Dictionary. McFarland. p. 221. ISBN 9780786486946. Retrieved 25 January 2018.
- "Ether Etchings". The Los Angeles Times. California, Los Angeles. August 26, 1934. p. Part II - Page 4. Retrieved January 25, 2018 – via Newspapers.com.
- Terrace, Vincent (1999). Radio Programs, 1924-1984: A Catalog of More Than 1800 Shows. McFarland & Company, Inc. p. 7. ISBN 978-0-7864-4513-4.
- Wollstein, Hans J., Allmovie.