Malcolm Howard (rower)
Malcolm Howard (born February 7, 1983) is a Canadian rower. He was born in Victoria, British Columbia and graduated from Brentwood College School (Mill Bay, British Columbia) in 2001. While at Brentwood he joined Canada's junior national team.
|Full name||Malcolm Howard|
|Born||February 7, 1983|
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
|Height||1.98 m (6 ft 6 in)|
|Weight||234 lb (106 kg).|
He won a gold medal at the 2008 Summer Olympics in the men's eights with Andrew Byrnes, Kyle Hamilton, Adam Kreek, Kevin Light, Ben Rutledge, Dominic Sieterle, Jake Wetzel and cox Brian Price. The crew was later named to Canada's Sports Hall of Fame.
At the 2012 Summer Olympics he won a silver medal in the men's eight. His teammates included Andrew Byrnes and Brian Price from the 2008 gold-medal winning crew. The other six were Gabriel Bergen, Jeremiah Brown, Will Crothers, Douglas Csima, Robert Gibson and Conlin McCabe.
Howard attended Harvard, never losing a race in three years of rowing for the university. He plans a career in medicine. While studying for a Masters in clinical medicine at Oxford's Oriel College he was in the stroke seat for the victorious Oxford crew in the 2013 Boat Race. He was the third Canadian to stroke a Boat Race crew, joining Kip McDaniel for Cambridge (2006) and Mike Evans for Oxford (1984). In 2014 he served as president of the Oxford University Boat Club and, rowing in the 5 seat, rowed in the Boat Race's winning eight for the second year in a row. Earlier in the Boat Race week it had been announced that Howard's 2008 Olympic champion men's eight crew was named to Canada's Sports Hall of Fame.
Howard has also rowed in pairs and single sculls. His wife Erika is a former world-class rhythmic gymnast.
- Quarrell, Rachel (March 30, 2013). "University Boat Race 2013: Oxford stroke and Olympic champion Malcolm Howard remain calm before storm". The Telegraph. Retrieved April 6, 2013.
- "2008 World Cup#2 Results,Men's 8". Retrieved July 7, 2008.
- "2007 Worlds Results,Men's 8". Retrieved July 7, 2008.
- The Canadian Press (August 18, 2008). "Gold in Men's Eight, Bronze in Women's Double, Men's Four". TSN.ca. Retrieved August 18, 2008.
- April 6, 2014 (April 6, 2014). "Former Winnipegger in winning Oxford-Cambridge Boat Race crew". CBC News. Retrieved April 6, 2014.
- Sadler, Emily (August 1, 2012). "Canadian Men's Eight Wins Olympic Silver". CTV Olympics. Archived from the original on August 1, 2012. Retrieved August 1, 2012.
- Deensaw, Cleve (March 30, 2013). "Historic boat race a lifelong goal for Island rower Malcolm Howard". Victoria Times Colonist. Retrieved April 6, 2013.
- "Canadian helps Oxford win annual University Boat Race over Cambridge". CBC Sports. The Canadian Press. March 31, 2013. Retrieved April 6, 2013.
- "Howard leads Canadians at Oxford-Cambridge". Sportsnet. The Canadian Press. April 3, 2014. Retrieved April 6, 2014.
- Profile at Rowing Canada