Llandow (Welsh: Llandŵ) is a village and community in the Vale of Glamorgan, Wales. The community population taken at the 2011 census was 726. The village is located 15 miles (24 km) south west of Cardiff. The community includes the villages of Sigingstone and Llysworney.
Trinity Church, Llandow
|Population||2,643  Llandaff/Ewenny Ward|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
Prior to 1995 Llandow was an electoral ward to the Vale of Glamorgan Borough Council. There were no contests in the ward, with a Conservative councillor being elected unopposed at each borough election. With the transfer of Ewenny to the Vale in 1996, Llandow became part of the county ward of Llandow/Ewenny for elections to the Vale of Glamorgan Council.
Adjacent to the village is a disused airfield that was once home to a World War II RAF station, part of which has now been converted into the Llandow Circuit for motorsports, next to which is the South Wales Karting Centre, home to the Llandow Kart Club.
Llandow air disaster 1950Edit
On 12 March 1950 RAF Llandow was the site of the Llandow air disaster, when an airliner returning Welsh rugby fans from an international match in Belfast crashed on approach in the nearby village of Sigingstone. With the deaths of 80 passengers and crew, the crash was at the time the worst air disaster in history.
National Eisteddfod venueEdit
- "Ward population 2011". Retrieved 9 April 2015.
- "Community population 2011". Retrieved 9 April 2015.
- "Llandow Community Council". Llandow Community Council. Retrieved 24 February 2019.
- "Vale of Glamorgan Welsh District Council Election Results 1973-1991" (PDF). The Elections Centre (Plymouth University). Retrieved 17 July 2019.
- http://www.llandowkartclub.co.uk Llandow Kart Club Website.
- South Wales Police, The Llandow Air Disaster south-wales.police.uk
- National Eisteddfod of Wales official website. Retrieved 5 August 2012 Archived 23 December 2012 at Archive.today
|This Vale of Glamorgan location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|