Live at the Theatre Boulogne-Billancourt/Paris, Vol. 2 is an album by Mingus Dynasty, billed as Big Band Charlie Mingus.
|Live at the Theatre Boulogne-Billancourt/Paris, Vol. 2|
|Live album by|
|Recorded||June 8, 1988|
|Venue||Theatre Boulogne-Billancourt, Paris, France|
Recording and musicEdit
Live at the Theatre Boulogne-Billancourt/Paris, Vol. 2 was recorded on June 8, 1988. The band was billed as Big Band Charlie Mingus, a larger version of Mingus Dynasty, which plays the music of Charles Mingus. The performances were conducted by Jimmy Knepper.
The central piece is "The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady", that uses "Ellingtonian gestures: plunger mutes (including quotes from 'It Don't Mean a Thing, If It Ain't Got That Swing'); a wah-wah trombone and drums (Billy Hart) duet; a slow fugue section similar to Ellington's in 'A Tone Parallel to Harlem'; and a solo piano interlude (Jaki Byard).
The album was released by Soul Note. It was later included, with Live at the Theatre Boulogne-Billancourt/Paris, Vol. 1 and other albums, in the CAM Jazz 4-CD compilation Mingus Dynasty Big Band Charlie Mingus.
- "Boogie Stop Shuffle"
- "My Jelly Roll Soul"
- "The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady"
- "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat"
- Nick Brignola – baritone sax, flute
- Clifford Jordan – tenor sax, soprano sax
- David Murray – tenor sax, bass clarinet
- John Handy – alto sax
- Randy Brecker – trumpet
- Jon Faddis – cornet
- Jimmy Knepper – trombone, conductor
- Mike Zwerin – trombone
- Jaki Byard – piano
- Reggie Johnson – bass
- Billy Hart – drums
- George Kanzler (March 2016) "Boxed Set". The New York City Jazz Record. p. 36.
- Kremsky, Stuart "Mingus Dynasty – Live at the Theatre Boulogne-Billancourt, Paris, Vol. 2". AllMusic.
- Emenari, L.A., III (March 24, 1994) "Inside... Entertainment – Some Serious Sounds". Hyde Park Citizen. p. 10.