Live at the Theatre Boulogne-Billancourt/Paris, Vol. 1 is an album by Mingus Dynasty, billed as Big Band Charlie Mingus.
|Live at the Theatre Boulogne-Billancourt/Paris, Vol. 1|
|Live album by|
|Recorded||June 8, 1988|
|Venue||Theatre Boulogne-Billancourt, Paris, France|
Recording and musicEdit
Live at the Theatre Boulogne-Billancourt/Paris, Vol. 1 was recorded on June 8, 1988. The band was billed as Big Band Charlie Mingus, a larger version of Mingus Dynasty, which plays the music of Charles Mingus. The performances were conducted by Jimmy Knepper.
"Sy Johnson's arrangement of 'The Shoes of the Fishermans Wife Are Some Jive Ass Slippers' [...] builds from opening rubato horns through rocking, tumbling riffs to a solo piano interlude and tenor saxophone (Clifford Jordan and David Murray) solos in 4/4 and 3/4 slowly engulfed by rising ensemble backgrounds."
The album was released by Soul Note. It was later included, with Live at the Theatre Boulogne-Billancourt/Paris, Vol. 2 and other albums, in the CAM Jazz 4-CD compilation Mingus Dynasty Big Band Charlie Mingus.
- "Jump Monk"
- "E's Flat Ah's Flat Too"
- "Duke Ellington's Sound of Love"
- "The Shoes of the Fisherman's Wife Are Some Jive Ass Slippers"
- Nick Brignola – baritone sax, flute
- Clifford Jordan – tenor sax, soprano sax
- David Murray – tenor sax, bass clarinet
- John Handy – alto sax
- Randy Brecker – trumpet
- Jon Faddis – cornet
- Jimmy Knepper – trombone, conductor
- Mike Zwerin – trombone
- Jaki Byard – piano
- Reggie Johnson – bass
- Billy Hart – drums
- George Kanzler (March 2016) "Boxed Set". The New York City Jazz Record. p. 36.
- Kremsky, Stuart "Mingus Dynasty – Live at the Theatre Boulogne-Billancourt, Paris, Vol. 2". AllMusic.
- "Big Band Charlie Mingus – Live at the Theatre Boulogne-Billancourt/Paris, Vol.1". CAM Jazz. Retrieved July 4, 2017.