List of largest clock faces
A list of permanent working clocks with the largest faces in the world. Entries include all clocks with faces at least 4 m (13 ft) in diameter. Clocks can be located on the exterior or interior of buildings, and towers as well as on the ground as is the case with floral clock faces.
|1||Abraj Al Bait Towers||43 m (141 ft)||4||No||2012||Building||Saudi Arabia||Mecca||Tallest building with clock faces. Building 601 metres (1,972 feet) which also makes the clock faces the highest above the ground level|
|2||Istanbul Cevahir||36 m (118 ft)||1||No||2005||Shopping centre||Turkey||Istanbul||3-metre-high digits laid on the transparent roof of the centre|
|3||Bhestan||Photo||24.2 m (79 ft)||1||Yes||?||Floral clock||India||Surat||Largest floral clock in the world|||
|4||Park Heroyiv||22 m (72 ft)||1||Yes||2011||Floral clock||Ukraine||Kryvyi Rih||Constructed to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Ukraine's independence. Minute hand is 13 m (43 ft)|||
|5||Central do Brasil||20 m (66 ft)||4||Yes||1943||Railway station||Brazil||Rio de Janeiro||Clock tower is 122 m (400 ft) tall|||
|6||Duquesne Brewery||18 m (59 ft)||1||No||1933||Building||USA||Pittsburgh||Largest clock face in USA. Octagonal clock. Has 8.5 m (28 ft) and 6.4 m (21 ft) aluminium hands|
|7||Colgate Clock (New Jersey)||15.2 m (50 ft)||1||No||1924||Freestanding||USA||Jersey City||Octagonal clock. Originally located on roof of Colgate headquarters building|
|8||NTT Docomo Yoyogi Building||15 m (49 ft)||4||No||2000(building)
|Building||Japan||Tokyo||Tower is 240 m (790 ft)|||
|9||Abbasabad||Photo||15 m (49 ft)||1||No||2005||Floral clock||Iran||Tehran|||
|10||Grozny City Towers||13.6 m (45 ft)||2||No||2011||Building||Russia||Grozny||Minute hand is 7.3 m (24 ft) and hour hand is 5.5 m (18 ft)|
|11||Rockwell Automation HQ||12.25 m (40.2 ft)||4||No||1962||Clock tower||USA||Milwaukee||Clock tower is 86.25 m (283.0 ft) and is known as the Allen-Bradley clock tower. Each hour hand is 4.8 m (16 ft) long. Each minute hand is 6.1 m (20 ft) long.|||
|12||Colgate Clock (Indiana)||12 m (39 ft)||1||No||1906||Freestanding||USA||Clarksville||Octagonal clock face. Built for the centennial of the Colgate Company in its original location of Jersey City. Moved to Indiana in 1924 when a larger replacement was made.|
|13||Alexandra Clock||Photo||11 m (36 ft)||1||No||1968||Freestanding||New Zealand||Alexandra||Located on a hill overlooking the town. Currently (as of 2020) not working|| |
|14||Kentucky State Capitol||10 m (33 ft)||1||No||1961||Floral clock||USA||Frankfort||Located in the grounds of the capitol building. Minute hand 6.1 m (20 ft) and hour hand 4.6 m (15 ft)|
|15||Gare de Cergy - Saint-Christophe||10 m (33 ft)||1||No||1988||Railway station||France||Cergy|||
|16||Aarau railway station||9 m (30 ft)||1||No||1988
|Railway station||Switzerland||Aarau||Fifth largest clock face in Europe|||
|17||Main building of Moscow State University||9 m (30 ft)||4||No||1953||Building||Russia||Moscow||University has one central tower (no clock face) and four ancillary towers upon which one clock face and a barometer and thermometer are located. Minute hand is 3.9 m (13 ft)|||
|18||Stephen's Green Shopping Centre||8.9 m (29 ft)
|1||No||1988||Shopping centre||Republic of Ireland||Dublin|
|19||St Peter's Church||8.64 m (28.3 ft)||1||No||1534||Church||Switzerland||Zurich||Largest church clock face. The minute hand is 5.73 metres (18.8 ft) and the hour hand is 5.07 metres (16.6 ft)|
|20||Oslo City Hall||8.6 m (28 ft)
|1||Yes||1950||Building||Norway||Oslo||Tower with clock on it is known as Oslo Rådhus 2 and is 63 m (207 ft). Building hosts the Nobel Peace Prize each year|||
|21||Christchurch Floral Clock||8.5 m (28 ft)||1||No||1953||Floral clock||New Zealand||Christchurch||Over 7000 plants are required each spring and autumn for the design|||
|22||Torrazzo of Cremona||8.2 m (27 ft)||1||Yes||1588||Tower Building||Italy||Cremona||Largest clock face in Italy and one of the largest astronomical clock faces in the world.|
|23||St. Michael's Church, Hamburg||8 m (26 ft)||4||No||1911||Church||Germany||Hamburg||The minute hand is 4.91 m (16.1 ft) and the hour hand is 3.65 m (12.0 ft) 3.65 m. The Clock tower is 132 m (433 ft)|||
|24||Met Life Tower||8 m (26 ft)||4||Yes||1912||Building||USA||New York||Minute hands are 5.2 m (17 ft) and the hour hands are 4.06 m (13.3 ft). Tower 213.4 m (700 ft) tall|||
|25||Philadelphia City Hall||7.9 m (26 ft)||4||No||1901||Clock tower||USA||Philadelphia||Building with clock tower is 167 m (548 ft)|
|26||Shell Mex House||7.62 m (25.0 ft)||1||No||1930||Building||United Kingdom||London||Largest clock face in UK|
|27||Waverly at South Beach||7.62 m (25 ft)||1||No||2000||Building||USA||Miami||Clock Movement weighs 771 kg (1700 lbs)|||
|28||Royal Liver Building||7.6 m (25 ft)||4||Yes||1911||Clock tower||United Kingdom||Liverpool||Clocks on two towers with building including clock towers 98.2 m (322 ft). Building part of the World Heritage Maritime Mercantile City|||
|29||Church of the Most Sacred Heart of Our Lord||7.6 m (25 ft)||1||No||1932||Church||Czech Republic||Prague|
|30||Detsky Mir||7.5 m (25 ft)||1||No||2014||Shopping centre||Russia||Moscow||Clock is inside toy shop. Pendulum is 13 m (43 ft)|| |
|31||Emerson Tower||7.3 m (24 ft)||4||No||1911||Building||USA||Baltimore||The largest four-dial gravity clock in the world. Tower is 88.1 m (289 ft)|||
|32||Minneapolis City Hall||7.2 m (24 ft)||4||Yes||1906||Clock tower||USA||Minneapolis||Largest four-face chiming clock in the world. Clock tower is 105 m (344 ft). Minute hands are 4.3 m (14 ft)|||
|33||Elizabeth Tower||7 m (23 ft)||4||Yes||1859||Clock Tower||United Kingdom||London||Clock tower is 96 m (315 ft) tall. Commonly known as 'Big Ben', although this is accurately the name of the largest chiming bell.|||
|34||Siemensstadt||7 m (23 ft)||4||No||1909||Tower building||Germany||Berlin||Tower is 75 m (246 ft)|||
|35||Ayer Mill||6.75 m (22.1 ft)||4||Yes||1909||Clock tower||USA||Lawrence|
|36||San Francisco Ferry Building||6.7 m (22 ft)||4||Yes||1898||Building||USA||San Francisco||Clock tower is 74.7 m (245 ft) and houses a private penthouse residence|||
|37||Vancouver Block||6.7 m (22 ft)||4||No||1912||Building||Canada||Vancouver||Building is 80.7 m (265 ft). Faces are illuminated at night|||
|38||Custom House Tower||6.7 m (22 ft)||1||No||1916||Building||USA||Boston||Due to the installation of an undersized motor, the clock failed to work properly through much of the 20th century|
|39||Clock Tower of Bologna||6.4 m (21 ft)||1||Yes||1451||Building||Italy||Bologna|||
|40||Palace of Culture and Science||6.2 m (20 ft)||4||No||2000||Building||Poland||Warsaw||Building constructed in 1955 at a height of 237 m (778 ft). Clock faces added later.|
|41||Spasskaya Tower||6.12 m (20.1 ft)||4||Yes||1851||Building||Russia||Moscow||The tower is 71 m (232.9 ft) tall|||
|42||Mercantile National Bank Building||6.1 m (20 ft)||4||No||1943||Building||USA||Dallas||Building completed in 1942. Addition of clock tower 1943. Height of building 159.4 m (523 ft)|| |
|43||Old City Hall||6 m (20 ft)||1||Yes||1899||Tower building||Canada||Toronto||Clock tower is 103.6 m (340 ft)|
|44||Wrigley Building||5.97 m (19.6 ft)||1||No||1924||Building||USA||Chicago||The hour hands are 1.73 m (5 ft 8 in) and the minute hands 2.79 m (9 ft 2 in). The building is 133.5 m (438 ft)|||
|45||Clock tower of Padua||5.6 m (18 ft)||1||No||1437||Building||Italy||Padua|||
|46||Milwaukee City Hall||5.5 m (18 ft)||1||Yes||1895||Tower building||USA||Milwaukee||Tower is 107.6 m (353 ft) tall|||
|47||Joseph Chamberlain Memorial Clock Tower||5.25 m (17.2 ft)||4||Yes||1908||Clock tower||United Kingdom||Birmingham||Tallest freestanding clock tower in the world at 100 m (330 ft). The hour hand is 3 m (9.8 ft) and the minute hand is 1.8 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|48||Jardin Anglais||5 m (16 ft)||1||No||2002||Floral clock||Switzerland||Geneva||Originally created in 1955|
|49||Manchester Town Hall||4.8 m (16 ft)||4||Yes||1877||Tower building||United Kingdom||Manchester||Tallest town hall clock tower in UK.|||
|50||Peace Tower||4.8 m (16 ft)||4||Yes||1920||Tower building||Canada||Ottawa||Tower is 92.2 m (302 ft) tall. Built to commemorate Canadians who lost their lives in World War I|||
|51||Central Railway Station||4.77 m (15.6 ft)||4||No||1921||Tower building||Australia||Sydney||Tower is 85.6 m (281 ft)|||
|52||Royal Palace||Photo||4.7 m (15 ft)||1||No||?||Floral clock||Malaysia||Anak Bukit|
Temporarily installed clocksEdit
A list of clocks with the largest faces that have been installed as temporary structures. Inclusion in this list follows the criteria for the list above except for the temporary nature of the clock.
|Rank||Location||Image||Diameter||No. of faces||Chiming||Year||Structure||Country||City||Remarks||Ref|
|1||Burning Man Festival||Video||3.28 km (2.04 mi)||1||No||2011||Laser||USA||Black Rock Desert||It took 13 months to create the clock|||
|2||Scania Clock||Photo||298.5 m (979 ft)||1||No||2016||Articulated lorries||Spain||Unknown||Created with 14 Scania trucks driving in circles for 24 hours at an abandoned airfield|||
|3||World Fair||Photos||30 m (98 ft)||1||No||1904||Floral clock||USA||St Louis||Created for the world fair|||
A list of the largest faced clocks that have been destroyed or demolished since their construction. Inclusion in this list follows the criteria for the list above except for the fact that the clocks are no longer extant.
|Rank||Location||Image||Diameter||No. of faces||Chiming||Year||Structure||Country||City||Remarks||Ref|
|1||Crystal Palace||40 ft (12 m)||1||No||1862/1876||Building||UK||Sydenham, London||Made by E. J. Dent and installed in the 1862 International Exhibition building. It was moved to the Crystal Palace in Sydenham in November 1876. It was destroyed along with the Crystal Palace itself during the 1936 fire.|||
|2||Singer Factory Clock||Video||26 ft (7.9 m)||4||1885||Building||Scotland, UK||Clydebank||Located at the Singer factory in Clydebank, the four-sided clock was mounted in a 200 ft (61 m) tower. The clock, which had become a local landmark, was demolished in a factory modernisation program in 1963|||
- "India Clocks And Signs". 2014-11-02. Archived from the original on 2014-11-02. Retrieved 2020-04-24.
- "World's biggest floral clock begins to tick off time in Ukraine's Kryvyi Rih". photo.ukrinform.ua. Retrieved 2020-04-24.
- "Estrada de Ferro Central do Brasil - The Skyscraper Center". www.skyscrapercenter.com. Retrieved 2020-05-01.
- "NTT DoCoMo Yoyogi Building - The Skyscraper Center". www.skyscrapercenter.com. Retrieved 2020-06-14.
- "Tehran "Flower Clock" rivals Big Ben". www.payvand.com. Retrieved 2020-04-22.
- "Allen-Bradley Clock Tower". Encyclopedia of Milwaukee. Retrieved 2020-07-19.
- "Central Otago New Zealand - Heart of the South- The Alexandra Clock". www.nzsouth.co.nz. Retrieved 2020-07-02.
- Morgan, Jared. "Well-known clock right only twice a day after damage". Retrieved 2020-07-02.
- "Le temps monumental". hapi.sncf.com (in French). Retrieved 2020-04-23.
- "Aarau Station Swiss Railways Clock by Mobatime". Lumichron Clock Company. Retrieved 2020-04-23.
- "The 10 Tallest University Clock Towers - Best College Reviews". www.bestcollegereviews.org. Retrieved 2020-04-23.
- "Oslo Rådhus 2 - The Skyscraper Center". www.skyscrapercenter.com. Retrieved 2020-05-01.
- "Clocks". ccc.govt.nz. Retrieved 2020-07-06.
- "Michel kompakt". www.st-michaelis.de (in German). Retrieved 2020-08-04.
- "Michel-Uhr: 40 Zentimeter pro Minute". www.evangelisch.de (in German). Retrieved 2020-08-04.
- "Metropolitan Life Tower - The Skyscraper Center". www.skyscrapercenter.com. Retrieved 2020-05-01.
- "Outdoor Clock Movement". Electric Time Company. 2020-06-25. Retrieved 2020-06-25.
- "Royal Liver Building - The Skyscraper Center". www.skyscrapercenter.com. Retrieved 2020-05-01.
- "Watchmaking – The biggest mechanism in the world - RAKETA". raketa.com. Retrieved 2020-04-23.
- Chakravarty, Sayan (2014-07-31). "Moscow to get one of the world's largest mechanical clocks constructed by Raketa". Luxurylaunches. Retrieved 2020-04-23.
- "Emerson Tower - The Skyscraper Center". www.skyscrapercenter.com. Retrieved 2020-05-01.
- "Municipal Building Commission :: Building History, Facts, & Photos". municipalbuildingcommission.org. Retrieved 2020-04-23.
- "The Clock Dials". UK Parliament. Retrieved 2020-04-23.
- Toon. "Grootste klok ter wereld. | Maakeenstijd.nl" (in Dutch). Retrieved 2020-06-14.
- "Ferry Building: San Francisco, California". American Planning Association. Retrieved 2020-06-16.
- Graff, Amy; SFGATE (2016-04-17). "A penthouse in San Francisco's historic Clock Tower goes on the market". SFGate. Retrieved 2020-06-16.
- "Vancouver Block - The Skyscraper Center". www.skyscrapercenter.com. Retrieved 2020-07-06.
- "Vancouver Block, Vancouver | 113300 | EMPORIS". www.emporis.com. Retrieved 2020-07-06.
- "L'OROLOGIO DI PIAZZA MAGGIORE A BOLOGNA" (PDF) (in Italian). October 2012.
- "Saviour Tower in the Moscow Kremlin". www.moscow.info. Retrieved 2020-05-01.
- "Custom Architectural Clocks | Electric Time®". Electric Time Company. Retrieved 2020-06-25.
- "Mercantile Place on Main - History of the Mercantile Tower, Dallas, Texas". daviesla.com. Retrieved 2020-04-23.
- "Mercantile Building - The Skyscraper Center". www.skyscrapercenter.com. Retrieved 2020-05-01.
- "Wrigley Building - The Skyscraper Center". www.skyscrapercenter.com. Retrieved 2020-05-01.
- "L'OROLOGIO ASTRONOMICO DI PADOVA E LA SUA TORRE" (in Italian).
- "Basic Facts About City Hall". city.milwaukee.gov. Retrieved 2020-04-25.
- "The building | History of Manchester Town Hall | Manchester City Council". secure.manchester.gov.uk. Retrieved 2020-06-14.
- Abbit, Beth (2015-06-11). "Manchester town hall clock tours: Stunning pictures give you a glimpse of view from city's famous landmark". men. Retrieved 2020-06-14.
- "Parliament of Canada, Parliament Hill Centre Block - The Skyscraper Center". www.skyscrapercenter.com. Retrieved 2020-05-01.
- "History - Sydney Trains". 2013-08-10. Archived from the original on 2013-08-10. Retrieved 2020-07-02.
- "Largest timepiece". Guinness World Records. Retrieved 2020-04-29.
- "Pressrelease". Scania Great Britain. Retrieved 2020-04-29.
- "1904 Floral Clock - World's Fair". www.lyndonirwin.com. Retrieved 2020-04-29.
- "Singer". www.west-dunbarton.gov.uk. Retrieved 2020-09-19.