List of active separatist movements in South America
This is a list of currently active separatist movements in South America. Separatism includes autonomism and secessionism. What is and is not considered an autonomist or secessionist movement is sometimes contentious. Entries on this list must meet three criteria:
- They are active movements with living, active members.
- They are seeking greater autonomy or self-determination for a geographic region.
- They are citizens/peoples of the conflict area and not from another country.
Under each region listed is one or more of the following:
- De facto state: for regions with de facto autonomy from the government
- Proposed state: proposed name for a seceding sovereign state
- Proposed autonomous area: for movements toward greater autonomy for an area but not outright secession
- De facto autonomous government: for governments with de facto autonomous control over a region
- Government-in-exile: for a government based outside of the region in question, with or without control
- Political party (or parties): for political parties involved in a political system to push for autonomy or secession
- Militant organisation(s): for armed organisations
- Advocacy group(s): for non-belligerent, non-politically participatory entities
- Ethnic/ethno-religious/racial/regional/religious group(s)
- Proposed state: São Paulo
- Pressure Groups: Free São Paulo (São Paulo Livre), Movimento República de São Paulo, Movimento São Paulo Independente.
- Proposition: To separate the São Paulo state from Brazil, creating the Republic of São Paulo. To organize and promote free debate and studies on the degree of autonomy of the State of São Paulo in the Brazilian federation and the current model of federalism in Brazil, as well as on the implementation of a new model of the Confederate States, and discuss foster actions aimed at bringing the public discussion of the federation, to foster growth stock elements of the typical culture of São Paulo, to organize debates and events on the political representation of the State of São Paulo in the current model of federation, among other actions.
- Proposed state: Sul
- Autonomous or Secessionist movements
- Proposed state: Republic of Aruba
- Proposed state: Republic of Bonaire
- "Movimento República de São Paulo". Movimento República de São Paulo. Retrieved 2011-04-10.