List of Chilean submissions for the Academy Award for Best International Feature Film
Chile has submitted films for the Academy Award for Best International Feature Film[nb 1] since 1990. The award is handed out annually by the United States Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences to a feature-length motion picture produced outside the United States that contains primarily non-English dialogue.
Chile has submitted twenty-four films for Oscar consideration, with their first film being nominated for an Academy Award in 2013. Chile won its first Foreign Language Oscar in 2018, with A Fantastic Woman.
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has invited the film industries of various countries to submit their best film for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film since 1956. The Foreign Language Film Award Committee oversees the process and reviews all the submitted films. Following this, they vote via secret ballot to determine the five nominees for the award. Below is a list of the films that have been submitted by Chile for review by the Academy for the award by year and the respective Academy Awards ceremony.
The Chilean submission is selected annually by the Consejo del Arte y la Industria Audiovisual, which chooses a nominee for the Spanish Goya Awards at the same time. The Goya nominee is usually the same film as the Oscar nominee (1991, 1993, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2009) but not always (1990, 2005, 2008, 2012).
The 2009 race was particularly controversial in Chile when La Nana, one of the most awarded films in Chile's cinematic history, was passed over in favor of a historical drama Dawson, Isla 10 by Miguel Littin. The Chilean Cultural Council released a statement in November 2009, defending the decision.
- "Academy announces rules for 92nd Oscars". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Retrieved 12 July 2019.
- "Academy Announces Rule Changes For 92nd Oscars". Forbes. Retrieved 12 July 2019.
- "Rule Fourteen: Special Rules for the Best Foreign Language Film Award" (HTML). Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. 2012. Retrieved 21 October 2012.
- Roxborough, Scott (4 March 2018). "Oscars: Chile's Win for 'A Fantastic Woman' a Transgender Watershed". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 4 March 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 7 July 2011. Retrieved 5 March 2010.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Source: Internet Movie Database
- Also considered by the committee: Sangre Eterna, Sexo con Amor and Cesant. Source: http://web.latercera.cl/medio/articulo/0,0,3255_5688_41347404,00.html[permanent dead link]
- Also considered by the committee: Mala leche, Azul y blanco, Subterra, Cachimba, El nominado, B-Happy and Xs, la peor talla. Source: http://www.mercuriovalpo.cl/prontus4_noticias/antialone.html?page=http://www.mercuriovalpo.cl/prontus4_noticias/site/artic/20040930/pags/20040930023322.html[permanent dead link]
- Also considered by the committee: Mi mejor enemigo, Paréntesis, Un juego de verano, Mujeres infieles and Gente decente. Source: http://www.lanacion.cl/prontus_noticias/site/artic/20050928/pags/20050928204756.html
- Also considered by the committee: El rey de San Gregorio, Pretendiendo, Fiesta Patria, Casa de Remolienda and Malta con Huevo Source: https://www.xing.com/net/gestionycultura/noticias-destacadas-81288/consejo-de-la-cultura-postula-pelicula-padre-nuestro-a-los-premios-oscar-y-goya-6482006/
- Also considered by the committee: La buena vida, La vida me mata, Microfilia, Mirageman, 31 minutos, Mansacue, El brindis, 199 recetas para ser feliz and Desierto sur. Source: http://www.cooperativa.cl/prontus_nots/site/artic/20080925/pags/20080925192907.html
- Also considered by the committee: "El Regalo", "Navidad", La Nana and "Muñeca". Source: http://www.consejodelacultura.cl/portalcnca/index.php?page=articulo&articulo=10588 Archived 7 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine
- ""La vida de los peces" postulará a ternas de Mejor Película Extranjera en los Oscar". lanacion.cl. Archived from the original on 6 October 2010. Retrieved 2 October 2010.
- "63 Countries Vie for 2011 Foreign Language Film Oscar". oscars.org. Archived from the original on 21 May 2012. Retrieved 14 October 2011.
- Mango, Agustin (24 September 2012). "Chile Sends 'No' to Foreign Oscar Race". The Hollywood Reporter. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 25 September 2012.
- "Oscars: Hollywood announces 85th Academy Award nominations". BBC News. Retrieved 10 January 2013.
- "Oscars: Chile Nominates 'Gloria' in Foreign-Language Category". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 31 August 2013.
- "Oscars: Chile Nominates 'To Kill a Man' for Foreign Language Category". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 9 September 2014.
- Mango, Agustin (9 September 2015). "Oscars: Chile Selects 'The Club' for Foreign-Language Category". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 9 September 2015.
- Mango, Agustin (13 September 2016). "Oscars: Chile Selects 'Neruda' for Foreign-Language Category". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 13 September 2016.
- ""Una mujer fantástica" representará a Chile en los Oscar y Goya" (in Spanish). Cooperativa.cl. Retrieved 12 September 2017.
- Mango, Agustin (13 September 2018). "Oscars: Chile Selects 'And Suddenly the Dawn' for Foreign-Language Category". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 13 September 2018.
- Mango, Agustin. "Oscars: Chile Picks 'Spider' for International Feature Category". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 11 September 2019.