Gloria (2013 film)
Gloria is a 2013 Chilean-Spanish drama film directed by Sebastián Lelio. The film premiered in competition at the 63rd Berlin International Film Festival, where Paulina García won the Silver Bear for Best Actress. It was shown at the 2013 Toronto International Film Festival. The film was selected as the Chilean entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 86th Academy Awards, but it was not nominated. It won Best Ibero-American Film at the 1st Platino Awards
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Sebastián Lelio|
Gloria (García) is a 58-year-old divorcée. Her grown son and daughter have their own lives. She meets Rodolfo (Hernández), seven years her senior who, like her, is seeking companionship, but he cannot give up his other relationships.
- Paulina García as Gloria Cumplido
- Sergio Hernández as Rodolfo Fernández
- Diego Fontecilla as Pedro
- Fabiola Zamora as Ana
- Alejandro Goic as Daniel
- Coca Guazzini as Luz
- Hugo Moraga as Hugo
- Luz Jiménez as Victoria
- Cristián Carvajal as Vecino
- Liliana García as Flavia
- Antonia Santa María as María
- Eyal Meyer as Theo
- Marcial Tagle as Marcial
- Marcela Said as Marcela
- Pablo Krögh as Pablo
The film received excellent reviews when it premiered at the 2013 Berlin International Film Festival, topping both Screen International's Screen jury poll of international critics, and IndieWire's critics poll of the best films screened at Berlin in 2013. The film currently holds a 99% of positive reviews in the film critics site Rotten Tomatoes, being classified as "Certified Fresh" based on 122 critic reviews, with an average rating of 7.9/10. The general critical consensus is "Marvelously directed by Sebastian Lelio and beautifully led by a powerful performance from Paulina Garcia, Gloria takes an honest, sweetly poignant look at a type of character that's all too often neglected in Hollywood." The film also holds a 100% of positive reviews from Top Critics. On Metacritic, the film holds a score of 83 out of 100, based on reviews from 30 critics, indicating "universal acclaim".
David Rooney of The Hollywood Reporter writes "it’s hard to imagine anyone with a heart and a brain not responding to the quiet delights and stunning intimacy of Chilean director Sebastian Lelio’s account of the personal evolution of a 58-year-old divorcee, played with scrupulous honesty and intelligence by the wonderful Paulina Garcia" and "Funny, melancholy and ultimately uplifting, Sebastian Lelio's enormously satisfying spell inside the head and heart of a middle-aged woman never puts a foot wrong".
Mark Adams of Screen International writes "A delightfully astute and compassionate delve into the life of a 58 year-old divorcee looking for company, romance and perhaps even love, director Sebastián Lelio’s engaging, amusing and oddly uplifting Gloria is a film that will strike a chord with audiences of a certain age. It is driven by a quite wonderful performance from Paulina Garcia, who should snag best actress awards at every festival the film plays at."
|2012||San Sebastian International Film Festival||Sebastián Lelio (director)
Pablo Larraín (producer)
|Films in Progress Award - Best Film||Won|
|2013||63rd Berlin International Film Festival||Paulina García||Silver Bear for Best Actress||Won|
|Sebastián Lelio||Golden Bear||Nominated|
|Sebastián Lelio||Jury Prize||Won|
|Hawaii International Film Festival||Sebastián Lelio||Best Film||Nominated|
|Paulina García||Best Actress||Won|
|Independent Spirit Awards||Sebastián Lelio||Best Foreign Film||Nominated|
|London Film Critics' Circle||Sebastián Lelio||Best Foreign Language Film||Nominated|
|2014||Goya Awards||Sebastián Lelio||Best Spanish Language Foreign Film||Nominated|
|National Board of Review Awards||Sebastián Lelio||Top Foreign Films||Won|
- "First Films for the Competition and Berlinale Special". berlinale. Retrieved 2 January 2013.
- "Prizes of the International Jury". berlinale. Retrieved 16 February 2013.
- "Toronto film festival 2013: the full line-up". The Guardian. London. 23 July 2013. Retrieved 24 July 2013.
- Mango, Agustin. "Oscars: Chile Nominates 'Gloria' in Foreign-Language Category". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 31 August 2013.
- "Gloria tops Screen jury's Berlin films". Screen International. 19 February 2013.
- "Critics Rank the Best Films and Performances From the 2013 Berlin International Film Festival". IndieWire. 19 February 2013.
- "Gloria". Rotten Tomatoes. 24 January 2014. Retrieved 26 October 2014.
- "Gloria". Metacritic. Retrieved 24 July 2015.
- Rooney, David. "Gloria: Berlin Review". The Hollywood Reporter.
- "Review: 'Gloria'". Variety.
- Adams, Mark (10 February 2013). "Gloria". Screen International.
- "Berlin Review: Touching Chilean Midlife Crisis Dramedy 'Gloria' A Breakthrough For Star Paulina Garcia". IndieWire.
- "Chilea's Lelio wins Films in Progress in San Sebastián". screendaily. Retrieved 13 February 2013.
- "Paulina García gana Oso de Plata a mejor actriz por "Gloria" en Festival Internacional de Cine de Berlín". La tercera. Retrieved 16 February 2013.