This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Liang (Romanization used in China, Chinese: 梁) is an East Asian surname of Chinese origin. Meaning "a beam", "a bridge", or "an elevation", or "a mast", the surname is often transliterated as Leung (in Hong Kong) or Leong (in Macau, Malaysia, and Singapore) according to its Cantonese and Hakka pronunciation, Neo / Nio / Niu (Hokkien, Teochew, Hainan), or Liong (Foochow). In Indonesia, it is known as Liang or Nio. It is also common in Korea, where it is written Ryang (량) or Yang (양). In Vietnam, it's pronounced as Lương.
|Meaning||"a beam", "a bridge", "an elevation", or "a mast"|
|Variant form(s)||Leung, Leong, Lyang, Nio|
|Liang||China, Indonesia, Malaysia|
|Leong||Macau, Malaysia, Singapore|
|Neo/Nio/Niu||Hokkien, Teochew, Hainan|
|Ryang (량) / Yang (양)||Korea|
During the reign of the Zhou dynasty King Xuan of Zhou (827–782 bc), Qin Zhong set out on an expedition to subdue the peoples to the west in Central Asia. After Qin Zhong died, the King divided the area of Shang among them, the second son of Qin Zhong received the area around Liang Mountain, from which his descendants developed the surname Liang.[better source needed]
Notable people with the surname 梁Edit
- Jack Neo, Chinese name: 梁智強， film director.
- Lily Neo, Singapore politician.
- Neo Ao Tiew, businessman, philanthropist and sheriff.
- Neo Beng Siang, professional basketball coach from Singapore.
- Alan Leong( Chinese name; 梁家傑）, Senior Counsel and former member of the Legislative Council of Hong Kong
- Andrew Leung, President of the Legislative Council of Hong Kong
- Antony Leung, banker and former Financial Secretary of Hong Kong
- Bryan Leung Hong Kong martial arts actor and director
- Liang Chen, professional tennis player
- Liang Cheng, Qing dynasty ambassador to the United States
- Christine Liang, Taiwanese-born president and founder of ASI Corp., Fremont, California
- CY Leung The third Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region
- Edmond Leung 梁漢文, Hong Kong Singer, actor and a quarter of Big Four and a finalist of the 8th annual New Talent Singing Awards
- Edwaard Liang, Taiwanese-born American choreographer, ballet dancer with Morphoses/The Wheeldon Company and former soloist with New York City Ballet
- Edwin Leong, Hong Kong billionaire businessman
- Elsie Leung, solicitor and former Secretary for Justice of Hong Kong
- Leung Foon, Student of Wong Fei-Hung
- Gigi Leung, Hong Kong Cantopop singer and actress
- Fish Leong, Malaysian-born Mandopop singer
- Isabella Leong, Hong Kong-based Macanese actress and former singer
- Katie Leung, Scottish film, television and stage actress
- Ken Leung, American film and television actor
- Lawrence Leung, Australian comedian, writer and director
- Lawrence Liang, Indian legal researcher and lawyer
- Lei Liang, Chinese-born American composer
- Martin Leung, American pianist
- Matthew H. Liang, American physician scientist
- Leung Jan, Wing Chun practitioner and Chinese herbal doctor from Foshan
- Leung Kwok-hung, Member of the Legislative Council of Hong Kong
- Liang Guanglie, Minister of National Defense in the People's Republic of China and serves as a general in the People's Liberation Army of China
- Liang May Seen, first woman of Chinese descent to live in Minnesota, community leader in Minneapolis
- Liang Qichao, Chinese scholar, philosopher, journalist and reformist
- Liang Shih-Chiu, (1903–1987), Chinese educator, writer, translator, literary theorist and lexicographer
- Liang Wenbo, snooker player
- Liang Wengen, founder and main shareholder of Sany Group and one of the wealthiest men in China
- Roseanne Liang, Chinese-New Zealand film director
- Toby Leung, Hong Kong television actress
- Tony Leung (Leung Chiu Wai), Hong Kong actor and singer
- Tony Leung (Leung Ka Fai), Hong Kong actor
- Liang Xiaosheng, Chinese novelist and screenwriter
- Liang Xueming, footballer
- Liang Xueqing, Chinese painter, magazine editor
- Annie Leong Wai Mun (梁慧敏; 1971–2001), better known as Annie Leong, Singaporean murder victim.
- Ronnie Liang, Filipino singer
- Luang Wichitwathakan, born Kim Liang (金良), Thai politician, diplomat, historian, novelist, and playwright. Led committee to rename Siam to Thailand.
- Lương Thế Vinh
- Luong Kim Dinh, (15 June 1914 - 25 March 1997) was a Vietnamese catholic priest, scholar and philosopher
- Luong Bich Huu, Vietnamese singer
- Dominic Mai Thanh Lương, Auxiliary Bishop of Orange from 2013-2015
- Nio Joe Lan, Indonesian historian
- Yang (Korean surname), notable Korean people with the last name Yang.
- 康熙字典, page: 528
- https://www.ancestry.com/name-origin?surname=liang, retrieved 31 Jan 2020
- "Lương (họ)", Wikipedia tiếng Việt (in Vietnamese), 2019-12-03, retrieved 2019-12-17
- "Lương Thế Vinh", Wikipedia tiếng Việt (in Vietnamese), 2019-11-03, retrieved 2019-12-17