Leitrim (Dáil constituency)
Leitrim was a parliamentary constituency represented in Dáil Éireann, the lower house of the Oireachtas (the Irish parliament) from 1937 to 1948. The constituency elected 3 deputies (Teachtaí Dála, commonly known as TDs) to the Dáil, using the single transferable vote form of proportional representation (PR-STV).
|Former Dáil Éireann|
|County/City council||County Leitrim|
The constituency was created for the 1937 general election, when the Electoral (Revision of Constituencies) Act 1935 split the old Leitrim–Sligo constituency, with County Sligo being represented from 1937 through the new Sligo constituency.
Some Dáil constituencies cross county boundaries, in order to ensure a reasonably consistent ratio of electors to TDs. The 1935 Act defines the boundaries of the Leitrim constituency as being:
|Teachtaí Dála (TDs) for Leitrim 1937–1948|
|13th||1948||Constituency abolished. See Sligo–Leitrim|
Note: The columns in this table are used only for presentational purposes, and no significance should be attached to the order of columns. For details of the order in which seats were won at each election, see the detailed results of that election.
1944 general electionEdit
|1944 general election: Leitrim|
|Fianna Fáil||Stephen Flynn||6,347||26.8||2||1|
|Fine Gael||Mary Reynolds||5,815||24.5||3|
|Electorate: ? Valid: 23,694 Quota: 5,924 Turnout:|
1943 general electionEdit
|1943 general election: Leitrim|
|Fine Gael||Mary Reynolds||5,290||19.4||1|
|Fianna Fáil||Stephen Flynn||4,175||15.3||3|
|Fine Gael||Michael McGowan||2,409||8.8|
|Fianna Fáil||Thomas Burke||1,812||6.6|
|Fianna Fáil||Edward Boles||1,558||5.7|
|Labour Party||James Gilhooly||939||3.4|
|Electorate: ? Valid: 27,295 Quota: 6,824 Turnout:|
1938 general electionEdit
|1938 general election: Leitrim|
|Fianna Fáil||Bernard Maguire||8,481||31.3||1||1|
|Fianna Fáil||Stephen Flynn||7,958||29.4||2||1|
|Fine Gael||Mary Reynolds||5,778||21.3||3|
|Fine Gael||Andrew Mooney||4,862||18.0|
|Electorate: ? Valid: 27,079 Quota: 6,770 Turnout:|
1937 general electionEdit
|1937 general election: Leitrim|
|Fianna Fáil||Bernard Maguire||7,755||28.5||1||1|
|Fianna Fáil||Stephen Flynn||6,129||22.5||2|
|Fine Gael||Mary Reynolds||5,296||19.5||3|
|Fine Gael||John Travers||2,070||7.6|
|Fine Gael||John Hennigan||2,057||7.6|
|Electorate: ? Valid: 27,226 Quota: 6,807 Turnout:|
- "Electoral (Revision of Constituencies) Act, 1935: First Schedule (Revised constituencies)". Irish Statute Book database. Retrieved 5 March 2009.
- "Electoral (Amendment) Act, 1947: First Schedule (Constituencies)". Irish Statute Book database. Retrieved 5 March 2009.
- Walker, Brian M, ed. (1992). Parliamentary election results in Ireland, 1918–92. Dublin: Royal Irish Academy. ISBN 0-901714-96-8. ISSN 0332-0286.
- "General election 1937: Leitrim". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 5 March 2009.
- "General election 1938: Leitrim". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 5 March 2009.
- "General election 1943: Leitrim". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 5 March 2009.
- "General election 1944: Leitrim". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 5 March 2009.