Lavaux is a region in the canton of Vaud in Switzerland, in the district of Lavaux-Oron. Lavaux consist of 830 hectares of terraced vineyards that stretch for about 30 km along the south-facing northern shores of Lake Geneva.
|UNESCO World Heritage Site|
|Location||Canton of Vaud, Switzerland|
|Criteria||Cultural: (iii), (iv), (v)|
|Inscription||2007 (31st session)|
|Area||898 ha (2,220 acres)|
|Buffer zone||1,408 ha (3,480 acres)|
Although there is some evidence that vines were grown in the area in Roman times, the actual vine terraces can be traced back to the 11th century, when Benedictine and Cistercian monasteries controlled the area. It benefits from a temperate climate, but the southern aspect of the terraces with the reflection of the sun in the lake and the stone walls gives a mediterranean character to the region. The main wine grape variety grown here is the Chasselas.
World Heritage siteEdit
There are many hikes possible through the vineyards of Lavaux. There is a hiking trail ("Terrasses de Lavaux"), going from Saint-Saphorin to Lutry, recommended by the Tourism Office of Switzerland.
In 1977, the voters of the Canton of Vaud accepted (55%) the cantonal popular initiative "Save Lavaux" Consequently, in 1979, a law was made to protect Lavaux (Loi sur le plan de protection de Lavaux).
In 2003, the new constitution of the Canton of Vaud came into force but did not contain the article about the protection of Lavaux. A second popular initiative "Save Lavaux" was launched to re-introduce it and was accepted in 2005 by 81% of voters.
In 2009, Franz Weber launched a third initiative "Save Lavaux" to reduce the possibilities to build new buildings in Lavaux, which was rejected on 19 May 2014 by 68% of voters. The counter-initiative of the regional government (Council of State of Vaud) was accepted by 68% of voters (strengthening the protection but less strictly than the initiative of Franz Weber).
Influences and tributesEdit
Vineyards near Lausanne
Notes and referencesEdit
- (in French) Pascaline Minet, "Virage vert dans les vignes de Lavaux", Le Temps, Friday 3 June 2016 (page visited on 4 June 2016).
- Lavaux Vineyard Terraces: The Swiss Wine Route, www.myswitzerland.com (page visited on 10 August 2013).
- (in French) "L'initiative vaudoise "Sauver Lavaux" refusée au bénéfice du contre-projet", Radio télévision suisse, 18 May 2014 (page visited on 4 June 2016).
- The songs begin with "Take me to the vineyards of Lavaux [...]".
- http://www.20min.ch/ro/entertainment/people/story/31041863 (page visited on 10 August 2013).
- Three special stamps for the Lavaux region, Swiss Post, press release dated 6 September 2011 (page visited on 4 June 2016).
- « Lavaux », three special stamps, Swiss Post (page visited on 4 June 2016).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lavaux.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lavaux Vineyard Terraces.|