Last Flight to Abuja
Last Flight to Abuja is a 2012 Nigerian disaster thriller film written by Tunde Babalola, directed and produced by Obi Emelonye, and starring Omotola Jalade Ekeinde, Hakeem Kae-Kazim and Jim Iyke. Shot in Lagos, the film received 5 nominations at the 2013 Africa Movie Academy Awards, winning the category "Best film by an African based abroad". On June 15, 2020, 'Last Flight To Abuja' began streaming on Netflix eight years after it first premiered in London.
|Last Flight to Abuja|
|Directed by||Obi Emelonye|
|Music by||Luke Corradine|
|Cinematography||James M. Costello|
|Edited by||Ben Nugent|
Nollywood Film Factory
|Box office||₦57,050,000 (domestic gross)|
On board the last flight of Flamingo Airways from Lagos to Abuja. It is a Friday night in 2006. The plane leaves on time and everything goes well until disaster strikes. While the pilots try to regain control of the flight, flashbacks reveal the reasons why each passenger took the flight and now have to face their destiny. Based on a true story.
- Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde - Suzie
- Hakeem Kae-Kazim - Adesola
- Ali Nuhu - Dan
- Jim Iyke - David
- Anthony Monjaro - Aircraft captain
- Uru Eke - Air hostess
- Tila Ben - Passenger
- Jide Kosoko - Chief Nike
- Celine Loader - Captain Seye
- Uche Odoputa - Efe
- Jennifer Oguzie - Yolanda
- Samuel Ajibola -
- Ashaju Oluwakemi -
- Nneka J. Adams
Last Flight to Abuja received mixed reviews. Praised for its cinematography and music score, most critics stated that the CGI and visual effects left a lot to be desired. The film grossed ₦8,350,000 in its opening weekend with an attendance of 9,638, and went ahead to gross ₦24,000,000 in its first week, topping the chart in west African cinemas and beating Hollywood movies such as The Amazing Spider-Man, Think Like a Man, The Avengers and Madagascar 3. It was released in many cities, including Lagos and London, where it was rated at 4 stars by Odeon cinemas.
- Kay, Chris (13 August 2013). "Moviemakers Beg Banks for Cash as Nollywood Goes Global". Bloomberg.
- Arogundade, Funsho (16 March 2013). "Emelonye's ' Last Flight To Abuja' Tops AMAA Nominations". P.M. News Nigeria. Retrieved 3 June 2013.
- "Africa Movie Academy Awards (AMAA) Winners 2013". African Movie Academy Award. Archived from the original on 31 May 2013. Retrieved 2 June 2013.
- "Full List of Nominees for 2013 African Movie Academy Awards". African Spotlight. Lagos, Nigeria. 18 March 2013. Retrieved 3 June 2013.
- "Obi Emelonye talks lessons from making Nollywood classics [Pulse Interview]". Retrieved 15 March 2021.
- Kay, Chris; Spillane, Chris (13 December 2013). "Nollywood comes of age". Oman Tribune. Archived from the original on 13 December 2013. Retrieved 25 May 2019.
- "Last Flight to Abuja". Nollywood Reinvented. 19 April 2013. Retrieved 26 May 2019.
- "Last Flight to Abuja grosses N8m in the box office". Vanguard. 18 August 2012. Retrieved 23 April 2014.
- "Half of a Yellow Sun sets new box office record". Vanguard. 6 August 2014. Retrieved 31 October 2014.
- "Last Flight to Abuja emerges best box office hit of 2012". Nigerian Voice. 5 November 2012. Retrieved 25 May 2019.
- "'I'm Happy 'Last Flight To Abuja' Is Rated 4 Star' - Omotola Jalade". Nigeria Films. Archived from the original on 5 August 2012. Retrieved 23 April 2014.