Larkhall railway station
This article relies largely or entirely on a single source. (January 2015)
Larkhall railway station serves the town of Larkhall, South Lanarkshire, Scotland. The station is the south-eastern terminus of the Argyle Line, 16 1⁄4 miles (26.2 km) south east of Glasgow Central railway station.
|Scottish Gaelic: Taigh na h-Uiseig|
|Local authority||South Lanarkshire|
|Managed by||Abellio ScotRail|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections|
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Passenger Transport Executive|
|1 July 1905||Opened as Larkhall Central|
|4 October 1965||Closed to passengers|
|4 November 1968||Line Closed|
|12 December 2005||Re-opened|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Larkhall from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
The station was originally opened as Larkhall Central on 1 July 1905 by the Caledonian Railway as part of their Mid Lanark Lines which filled in various gaps around Larkhall, Stonehouse, Strathaven and Blackwood. It closed to passengers on 4 October 1965.
Forty years after closure, the station was officially reopened on 9 December 2005 by Jack McConnell MSP, the then First Minister for Scotland. Passenger services started on 12 December 2005, with trains serving the Argyle Line.
This section needs to be updated.January 2015)(
From opening in December 2005, trains run every 30 minutes to Glasgow Central and beyond to Dalmuir. As of May 2016, they run to Milngavie instead, but southbound arrivals still originate from Dalmuir.
An hourly Sunday service started from December 2007 on a one-year trial basis. This trial has been successful, and the hourly Sunday service is now a permanent feature. It runs to Balloch via Clydebank.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
Argyle Line - Larkhall Branch
Line and station closed
|Mid Lanark Lines
Line and station open
- Brailsford, Martyn, ed. (December 2017) . "Gaelic/English Station Index". Railway Track Diagrams 1: Scotland & Isle of Man (6th ed.). Frome: Trackmaps. ISBN 978-0-9549866-9-8.
- Chrionology for Coalburn Branch Crawford, E, Railscot; Retrieved 31 August 2016
- SPT news Archived 2007-12-27 at the Wayback Machine
- Table 225 & 226 National Rail timetable, May 2016
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Larkhall railway station.|
- Train times and station information for Larkhall railway station from National Rail
- Larkhall to Milngavie rail link - Scottish Executive 2003
- New Link for Larkhall opens - BBC News Scotland website
- RAILSCOT on the Larkhall re-opening - for history and pictures of the station and line.
- RAILSCOT on the Mid Lanark Lines