Langside (Ward 7) is one of the 23 wards of Glasgow City Council. On its creation in 2007 and in 2012 it returned three council members, using the single transferable vote system. For the 2017 Glasgow City Council election, the boundaries were changed, the ward increased in size and returned four members.
Battlefield Rest in the Langside ward
|Area||4.67 km2 (1.80 sq mi)|
|• Density||6,222.6/km2 (16,116/sq mi)|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Postcode district||G41, G42, G43, G44|
The ward is situated on the south side of Glasgow. As well as Langside itself, it also includes Battlefield, Mount Florida (including Hampden Park and the New Victoria Hospital), the northern parts of King's Park and Cathcart and the eastern part of Shawlands. The 2017 expansion took in Toryglen from the Southside Central ward and a few streets on the north side of the Cathcart Circle Line railway which had previously been in Newlands/Auldburn when the boundary was the White Cart Water.
The ethnic makeup of the expanded Langside ward using the 2011 census population statistics was:
- 89.4% White Scottish / British / Irish / Other
- 6.5% Asian (Mainly Pakistani)
- 1.3% Black (Mainly African)
- 0.9% Mixed / Other Ethnic Group
Result based on original count
It was announced by Glasgow City Council on Thursday 10 May 2012 that Box 139, containing approximately 385 papers, was not counted in the vote despite them being registered and scanned. Permission was obtained from Glasgow Sheriff Court to examine the ballots and rerun the calculation. The two highest scoring candidates were mathematically assured of their place, however the third candidate, Liam Hainey, could have had his election overturned. After the ballots were rescanned on 16 May 2012 and the result recalculated, he retained his seat.
- On 14 May 2015 Langside Scottish Green Party Cllr Liam Hainey resigned his seat for family and health reasons.  A by-election was held on 6 August 2015 and was won by the SNP's Anna Richardson.
|Langside By-election (6 August 2015) - 1 Seat|
|Party||Candidate||FPv%||Count 1||Count 2|
|Scottish Green||Robert Pollock||13.5%||579||598|
|Liberal Democrats||Will Millinship||2.9%||125||125|
|Electorate: 20,938 Valid: 4,276 Spoilt: 27 Quota: 2,139 Turnout: 4,303 (21.7%)|
- City Ward Factsheets 2017: Ward 7 - Langside, Glasgow City Council
- Teale, Andrew (27 December 2008). "Local Election Results 2007 (Glasgow)" (PDF). Local Elections Archive Project. Retrieved 4 May 2012.
- Recount upholds election outcome, Glasgow Evening Times, 17-05-2012, Accessed 17-05-2012