Lake Worth Community High School
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Lake Worth Community High School is a C State of Florida rated public high school located in Lake Worth, Florida. Established in 1922 as Lake Worth High School, it is currently one of Palm Beach County's largest schools. It has six magnet programs: the award-winning Air Force JROTC led by former Multi-National Award-winning Drill Teams, Tyranny and Fidelis; Medicine and Allied Health; Child Care and Development; Criminal Justice; Culinary and Drafting and Design. The Palm Beach County School Board added the word Community to the names of all public high schools, including Lake Worth High School, in the 1980s.
|Lake Worth Community High School|
|Type||Public (Choice) Secondary - Title I |
|School district||School District of Palm Beach County|
|Principal||Dr. Elvis Epps|
|Teaching staff||140.00 (FTE)|
|Student to teacher ratio||17.24|
|Color(s)||Maroon and White|
|Mascot||Trojans - Troy Trojan|
|Rival||John I Leonard, Santaluces|
|Accreditation||Florida State Department of Education|
Home of the Trojans.
Lake Worth Community High School has many Advanced Placement and [AICE] courses as well as many honors courses.
Four Credits of English are required. English 1 is offered all the way up to AP English Language and Literature.
One credit of World History, one credit of American History, 0.5 credit of Economics, and 0.5 credit of Government are required to graduate. World history is usually taken during sophomore year, American history during junior year, and economics and government is taken during senior year.
Four Credits of Math are required to graduate. Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra II, Pre-Calculus, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, and AP Statistics are offered.
Three Credits of Science are needed to graduate. Integrated Science I (formerly known as Earth Sciences), Biology, Chemistry, Anatomy & Physiology, Physics, Environmental Science, Integrated Science I & II. Some courses are also available in AP version.
Foreign Language is required to graduate high school. At least two credits are required for college acceptance. Spanish and French are both offered from Spanish and French 1 up to AP Spanish Language and Literature and AP French Language.
The Lake Worth Community High School mascot is the Trojan (Troy Trojan) and the colors are Maroon, Silver and White. The current Athletic Director is Frank Baxley.
Trojan Athletics include:
- Basketball - Girls & Boys
- Bowling- Girls & Boys
- Cross Country - Girls & Boys
- Football - Boys
- Flag Football - Girls
- Golf - Girls & Boys
- Soccer - Girls & Boys
- Swimming - Girls & Boys
- Tennis - Girls & Boys
- Track and Field - Girls & Boys
- Volleyball - Girls & Boys
- Water Polo - Girls & Boys
- Weightlifting - Girls & Boys
Many student athletes have graduated from the athletic's program at Lake Worth Community High School. Their longtime crosstown rivals have been Atlantic Community High School (Seacrest H.S.) Eagles, Santaluces Community High School Chiefs, John I. Leonard Community High School Lancers and most recently the Park Vista Community High School Cobras.
- Daniel Cane, co-creator of Blackboard Learning Management Systems.
- Mayo Smith, former Major League baseball player and manager (Class of 1932)
- Mark Foley, former member of the United States House of Representatives (Class of 1973)
- Deidre Hall and Andrea Hall, twin sisters; both stars of the soap opera Days of Our Lives (Class of 1965)
- Herb Score, former MLB All-Star and 1955 American League Rookie of the Year for the Cleveland Indians and Chicago White Sox (Class of 1952)
- Otis Thorpe, former Providence College Friar and NBA basketball player for the Kansas City Kings (Class of 1980)
- Robert McKnight, former Florida State Senator and Representative (Class of 1962)
- Scott Levy, professional wrestler known as Raven (Class of 1982)
- Joe Looney, professional NFL football player for the [Dallas Cowboys] (Class of 2008)
- LaVon Brazill, Former American football player (National Football League - NFL) with the Indianapolis colts (Class of 2007)
- Stanley Shakespeare, Former American football player (National Football League - NFL)
- Scott Henderson, award-winning jazz guitarist (Class of 1972)