La Jornada (The Working Day) is one of Mexico City's leading daily newspapers. It was established in 1984 by Carlos Payán Velver. The current editor (directora general) is Carmen Lira Saade. La Jornada has presence in eight states of the Mexican Republic with local editions in Aguascalientes, Guerrero, Jalisco, Michoacán, Morelos, San Luis Potosí, Puebla and Veracruz (La Jornada de Oriente). It has approximately 287,000 readers in Mexico City, and, according to them, their website has approximately 180,000 daily page views.
Typical front page of La Jornada
|Publisher||Desarrollo de Medios S.A. de C.V.|
|Editor||Carmen Lira Saade|
|Political alignment||Left-wing |
|Headquarters||Mexico City, Mexico|
The online version was launched in 1995, with no restrictions on access and a Google-based search that includes the historic archives of the newspaper. The website is hosted by the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM).
- Julio Hernández López
- Jose Steinsleger
- Ximena Bedregal (editor of Triple Jornada)
- Eduardo Galeano (former contributor)
- Miguel Angel Rivera
- Carlos Fernández-Vega
- Alfredo Jalife Rahme
- Julio Boltvinik Kalinka
- Marlene Santos
- Patricia Peñaloza
- Mario Di Costanzo
- Gustavo Iruegas
- Iván Restrepo
- Antonio Helguera
- Arnoldo Kraus
- Enrique Galvan Ochoa
- Carlos Fazio
- Gustavo Esteva
- León Bendesky
- Elena Poniatowska
- Hermann Bellinghausen
- José Cueli
- Leonardo Garcia Tsao
- Mario Benedetti
- Carlos Monsivais
- Joan Martinez Alier
- John Saxe Fernandez
- Abraham Nuncio Limón
- Verónica Murguía editor of the bi-weekly column “Las rayas de la cebra” since 2000
It occasionally translates and includes op-eds from Robert Fisk, Noam Chomsky, James Petras, Howard Zinn, Greg Palast and others. Fidel Castro also repeatedly contributed to the newspaper as an author.
- Pulso: Articulos Nuevos
- Introducción Daily page views according to La Jornada
- "BUSQUELA EL PRIMER LUNES DE CADA MES EN LA JORNADA". La Jornada. Retrieved 17 May 2015.
- "Verónica Murguía". Enciclopedia de la Literatura en México (in Spanish). Mexico City, Mexico: CONACULTA. Retrieved 24 July 2015.
- Borpujari, Priyanka (6 July 2013). "What is striking in India is the indifference of the privileged: Chomsky". Tehelka. Retrieved 2013-07-02.
- Chomsky, Noam (Oct 6, 2009). Chomsky: US Supported Indian, Pakistani Nuclear Programs (Conference). San Francisco, CA: FORA.tv.