In August 2016, gay rights activists and religious leaders protested against then presidential candidates Marco Rubio and Donald Trump, who were scheduled to speak at the "Rediscovering God in America Renewal Project" event in Orlando, Florida.
In January 2017, prior to Trump's inauguration, Werk for Peace organized a dance party outside the house of Vice President elect Mike Pence. The event was attended by a few hundred LGBTQ+ and allies.
Following Trump's inauguration, a queer dance party was hosted by Werk for Peace and protesters with the '#DisruptJ20' coalition outside the inauguration security checkpoint at the intersection of 13th and E Streets in Washington, D.C. In Tel Aviv, hundreds of Israeli gay rights and anti-occupation activists rallied outside the U.S. Embassy, expressing solidarity with the 2017 Women's March.
On February 2, 2017, an LGBT anti-Trump rally was held in West Hollywood. On the same day, dozens of Baltimore residents protested against "both by alleged drafts of orders that would target the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community, and by actual orders they feel target other vulnerable communities such as Muslims, refugees and immigrants".
On February 3, an LGBT "dance protest" against the Trump administration's policies was held outside the Trump International Hotel in downtown Washington, D.C. The event was organized by WERK for Peace and attracted several hundred participants.
On February 4, thousands of protesters gathered outside the Stonewall Inn in New York City. The demonstration marked the first large rally organized primarily by and for gay and transgender people since Trump's inauguration.
Trump's elimination of protections for transgender people promoted hundreds to protest outside the White House. Ellen DeGeneres, a lesbian and LGBT rights activist, said of Trump's actions: "Just seeing the news about removing laws protecting trans people. This isn’t about politics. It's about human rights, and it's not okay." In late February, after the Trump administration reduced protections for transgender students in public schools, demonstrators planned a " Stand Up for Transgender Rights" rally in Chicago.
- Weiner, Jeff (August 11, 2016). "LGBT activists protest Rubio, Trump at pastors event". Orlando Sentinel. Retrieved April 28, 2017.
- Cauterucci, Christina (2017-01-20). "Queer protest at the Trump inauguration". Slate.com. Retrieved 2017-04-29.
- Tibon, Amir (2017-01-21). "Hundreds rally in Tel Aviv against Trump, in solidarity with Women's March". Haaretz.com. Retrieved 2017-04-29.
- Abovian, Ellina (February 2, 2017). "LGBT Anti-Trump Rally Held in West Hollywood". KTLA. Retrieved March 23, 2017.
- Rector, Kevin (February 2, 2017). "Baltimoreans hold LGBT rally amid fears of Trump order". The Baltimore Sun. Retrieved March 23, 2017.
- Chibbaro Jr., Lou (February 4, 2017). "LGBT dance protest targets Trump Hotel". Washington Blade. Retrieved March 23, 2017.
- Cooper, Mariah (February 2, 2017). "LGBT protestors plan to 'werk' at Trump Hotel". Washington Blade. Retrieved March 23, 2017.
- "More protests heat up around the world against Trump". NBC News. Retrieved 2017-04-29.
- Hoover, Amanda (February 5, 2017). "LGBT community, allies flock to Stonewall Inn to protest Trump's agenda". The Christian Science Monitor. Retrieved March 23, 2017.
- Reilly, Katie (February 4, 2017). "Protesters at Historic Stonewall Inn Show LGBT Solidarity With Immigrants and Refugees". Time. Retrieved March 23, 2017.
- Walters, Joanna (February 4, 2017). "LGBT protest at Stonewall Inn takes on edge amid possible blow to gay rights". The Guardian. Retrieved March 23, 2017.
- "Ellen DeGeneres says Trump transgender order is 'not okay' as LGBT groups protest White House". TheBlaze.com. 2017-02-22. Retrieved 2017-04-29.
- Vivanco, Leonor. "Rally for transgender rights planned for Saturday after Trump action". chicagotribune.com. Retrieved 2017-04-29.
- "CSW Acknowledges LA Pride Parade Will Be Replaced by Protest March". WEHOville. 2017-03-09. Retrieved 2017-08-17.
- "LGBT activists threw a dance party outside Ivanka Trump's house". The Independent. 2017-04-03. Retrieved 2017-04-29.
- Media related to LGBT demonstrations and protests against the presidency of Donald Trump at Wikimedia Commons