Kuwait Olympic Committee
|President||Sheikh Talal Al-Fahad Al-Sabah|
|Secretary General||Mr Obaid Zaid Al-Anzi|
The International Olympic Committee imposed a suspension on the committee with effect from 1 January 2010 due to government legislation that permits the state to interfere in elections of sporting organisations. The government had failed to meet the IOC's 31 December 2009 deadline for amending the legislation. As a result, Kuwait was barred from receiving IOC funding and its athletes and officials were banned from Olympic Games and Olympic meetings. At the 2010 Summer Youth Olympics, Kuwaiti athletes competed as independent athletes under the Olympic Flag. On 14 July 2012 the suspension was lifted and Kuwaiti athletes were allowed to participate in the 2012 Summer Olympics under their own flag.
The Kuwait Olympic Committee was again suspended on 27 October 2015 by the IOC to protect the Olympic movement in Kuwait from undue government interference. As a result of this suspension, participation by athletes from Kuwait at the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro was allowed under the banner of the International Olympic Committee and called Independent Olympic Athletes. On 16 August 2018 the suspension was lifted and Kuwaiti athletes were allowed to participate in the 2018 Asian Games under their own flag.
- "IOC ban Kuwait national Olympic committee". morethanthegames.com. Sportsbeat & News Associates. 5 January 2010. Archived from the original on 2012-11-15.
- "Olympics-Kuwait to hoist flag at Games after row resolved". Reuters. 14 July 2012. Retrieved 24 July 2012.
- "All 204 NOCs to compete in London". Olympic.org. International Olympic Committee. 16 July 2011. Retrieved 19 July 2011.
- "Suspension of the Kuwait Olympic Committee". Olympic.org. International Olympic Committee. 27 October 2015. Retrieved 20 August 2016.
- "Team IOA 2016 Olympics". rio2016.com. Brazil Olympic Committee. Archived from the original on August 15, 2016. Retrieved August 11, 2016.
- Official website
- Kuwait Olympic Committee at Olympic Council of Asia website
- Kuwait Olympic Committee at IOC website
|This Olympics-related organization article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to sport in Kuwait is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|