Kuala Kangsar by-election, 2016
A by-election to be held for the Dewan Rakyat seat of P67 Kuala Kangsar, a parliamentary seat located in the state of Perak, Malaysia on 18 June 2016 following the nomination day on 5 June 2016. The seat fell vacant after death of member of parliament Wan Mohammad Khair-il Anuar Wan Ahmad, who died in a helicopter crash on May 5, 2016 while campaigning in the Sarawak state election. In the 2013 general election, Wan Mohammad Khair-il Anuar Wan Ahmad won the seat with a majority of 1,082 votes beating Khalil Idham Lim Abdullah of Pan-Malaysian Islamic Party (PAS) and independent candidate Kamilia Ibrahim. This by-election was held concurrently with the Sungai Besar by-election for the same reason.
The Barisan Nasional candidate for Kuala Kangsar is UMNO member Mastura Mohd Yazid who is the widow of the former MP Wan Mohammad Khair-il Anuar Wan Ahmad. The PAS candidate chosen was Najihatussalehah Ahmad. The opposition coalition Pakatan Harapan has chosen as their candidate from National Trust Party (PAN), its vice chairman Ahmad Termizi Ramli. Izat Bukhary Ismail Bukhary join the race in the by-election as Independent on the nomination day.
Mastura Mohd Yazid managed to retain the seat for Barisan Nasional with a majority of 6,969 votes beating 3 other candidates.
|Barisan Nasional||Mastura Mohd Yazid||12,653||54.3%||3.9|
|PH||Ahmad Termizi Ramli||4,883||20.9%||N/A|
|Independent||Izat Bukhary Ismail Bukhary||54||0.2%||0.86|
|Barisan Nasional hold||Swing||3.9%|
- "Sungai Besar, K Kangsar by-elections on June 18". Malaysiakini. 13 May 2016. Retrieved 27 May 2016.
- "Sungai Besar, Kuala Kangsar set for by-elections". Malaysiakini. 10 May 2016. Retrieved 27 May 2016.
- "Hisham: BN doesn't take Sungai Besar, Kuala Kangsar by-elections lightly". Malaysiakini. 16 May 2016. Retrieved 3 June 2016.
- "BN says candidate for Kuala Kangsar has the right criteria". Malay Mail Online. 28 May 2016. Retrieved 28 May 2016.
- "PAS hopes for a straight fight with BN in Kuala Kangsar". Malay Mail Online. 28 May 2016. Retrieved 28 May 2016.
- "Pakatan Harapan picks ex-scientist as candidate in Kuala Kangsar by-election". The Star Online. 2 June 2016. Retrieved 3 June 2016.
- "Three-cornered fight in Sg Besar, four-way tussle in K Kangsar". Malaysiakini. 5 June 2016. Retrieved 5 June 2016.
- "Malaysia's Sungai Besar, Kuala Kangsar by-elections: Barisan Nasional sweeps to victory". The Straits Times. 18 June 2016. Retrieved 18 June 2016.