Kousalya Krishnamurthy is a 2019 Telugu-language sports drama film, produced by K. A. Vallabha on Creative Commercials banner and directed by Bhimaneni Srinivasa Rao. The film stars Aishwarya Rajesh, Rajendra Prasad, Karthik Raju, and Sivakarthikeyan in the lead roles and music composed by Dhibu Ninan Thomas. This film is a remake of the 2018 Tamil film Kanaa and marks the Telugu debuts of Aishwarya Rajesh and Sivakarthikeyan. The film reused scenes involving Sivakarthikeyan from the original film. The film was released theatrically on 23 August 2019.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Bhimaneni Srinivasa Rao|
|Produced by||K. A. Vallabha|
K. S. Rama Rao Presents
|Written by||Choudary Hanuman (dialogues)|
|Screenplay by||Bhimaneni Srinivasa Rao|
|Story by||Arunraja Kamaraj|
|Music by||Dhibu Ninan Thomas|
|Edited by||Kotagiri Venkateswara Rao|
Kousalya Krishnamurthy (Aishwarya Rajesh), the daughter of Krishnamurthy (Rajendra Prasad), a farmer, is highly fascinated to cricket. In her childhood, Kousalya spots tears in her father's eyes when India crashes defeat in the 2007 Cricket World Cup. Hence, she determines to become an international cricketer to get back the smile on her cricket-loving father's face. At the age of 11, she joins the local cricket team in the village who are mostly her school seniors when everyone appreciates her talent of off-spin technique getting wickets. Parallelly, she also earns the wrath of many villagers for playing cricket with boys, which Krishna Murthy does not care and supports his daughter. Right now, Kousalya appears for team selections. She gets rejected but does not give up. She works hard and gets selected in the [India women's national cricket team|Indian women’s cricket team]. At present, Kousalya moves for training at National Cricket Academy Bangalore, where she is humiliated by seniors due to internal politics, and even the coach demotes her to a large extent. However, the entry of a new coach named Nelson Dilipkumar (Sivakarthikeyan), an ex-Indian cricketer, develops the team’s spirit and gets the players ready for the upcoming T20 world cup. Nelson discovers spin bowling capabilities of Kousalya and trains her in the right path. He also locks horns with the committee and ensures that Kousalya’s presence in the world cup. Meanwhile, Krishnamurthy faces a tough time with agriculture, and unable to repay the debt of bank, ends up being in a rift with the bank manager (Bhimaneni Srinivasa Rao). At one point, Nelson decides to rest Kousalya for the league matches as a strategy to hide her talent and give a surprise to opponents, which makes her down. Ultimately, Kousalya is selected in the semifinal against the strongest team, Australia. At the same time, Krishnamurthy’s house is occasioned by the bank; hearing it, Kousalya becomes anguished when Nelson motivates her to make her father proud by winning the match. During the match, Kousalya bowls a hat-trick and again bowls well leading to India’s win. At last, she is declared as Woman of the Match, awarded with Rs. 5 lakhs when she gives an emotional speech describing the situation of farmers in the country. Finally, Krishnamurthy feels proud of his daughter.
- Aishwarya Rajesh as Kousalya Krishnamurthy
- Rajendra Prasad as Krishnamurthy
- Karthik Raju as Sai
- Sivakarthikeyan as Nelson Dhilipkumar (cameo)
- Jhansi as Savitri, Kousalya's mother
- Vennela Kishore as Inspector Balram
- Bhimaneni Srinivasa Rao as Bank manager
- Ravi Prakash as School P. E. T. Master
- C. V. L. Narasimha Rao as Krishnamurthy's friend
- Rangasthalam Mahesh
- Taxiwala Vishnu
- Natasha Parashar as Natasha Parashar
- Nirali Oza as Gayathri Dixit
- Shyla Alam as Anjali Sharma
- Sushree Pradhan as Deepika Patel
- Ramya Justin as Ramya
- Sajana Sajeevan as Sajana
K. S. Rama Rao, the presenter of the film, saw the trailer of Kanaa on the sets of World Famous Lover and decided to remake it in Telugu. The remake, titled Kousalya Krishnamurthy, was shot in the surrounding areas of Rajahmundry.
Marketing and releaseEdit
The film was released theatrically on 23 August 2019.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Label||Sony Music India|
|Producer||Dhibu Ninan Thomas|
|Dhibu Ninan Thomas chronology|
The film's soundtrack was composed by Dhibu Ninan Thomas, who composed the original film. All of the film's tunes were reused from Kanaa.
|2.||"Raakasi Gadusu Pilla"||Rambabu Gosala||Ananya Nair, Rahul Sipligunj,Roshitha||4:08|
|3.||"Repati Kala"||Ramajogayya Sastry||Swaraag Keerthan , Manisha Errabathini||4:12|
|4.||"Savaal"||Kasrla Shyam||L. V. Revanth||3:56|
|5.||"Ooge Pachani"||Kasrla Shyam||Anurag Kulkarni||4:48|
123telugu gave 3 out of 5 stars stating "An emotional sports drama which has some good moments. Decent family emotions and some interesting cricketing scenes are basic assets. On the flip side, the lengthy runtime, predictable sports-based storyline play spoilsport. If you are okay with these small issues, you can easily give this inspiring film a shot".
The Times of India gave 2.5 out of 5 stars stating "An emotional drama centred around cricket. We've seen a lot of Tollywood films based on cricket in recent times, but Kousalya Krishnamurthy has more cricket in it than an actual story".
GreatAndhra gave 2.5 out of 5 stars stating "“Kousalya Krishnamurthy” is a sincere attempt with good messages but it is also filled with clichéd sequences, and predictable narration".
- Kumar, Gabbeta (13 March 2019). "Aishwarya Rajesh's next Telugu film Kowsalya Krishnamurthy Cricketer goes on floors". Retrieved 30 June 2019.
- "Aishwarya Rajesh debuts in Tollywood with Kousalya Krishnamurthy". Times of India. 26 March 2019. Retrieved 30 June 2019.
- "Sivakarthikeyan to make his Telugu debut in 'Kanaa' remake". 22 June 2019. Retrieved 30 June 2019.
- "Kousalya Krishnamurthy trailer impresses fans". Times of India. 19 August 2019. Retrieved 21 August 2019.
- Pecheti, Prakash (22 June 2019). "Inspirational tale of Kausalya Krishnamurthy". Retrieved 30 June 2019.
- "Kousalya Krishnamurthy Official Teaser - Aishwarya Rajesh, Rajendra Prasad, Sivakarthikeyan". YouTube. Sony Music South. 18 June 2019.
- "Kousalya Krishnamurthy Official Trailer - Aishwarya Rajesh, Rajendra Prasad, Sivakarthikeyan". YouTube. Sony Music South. 19 August 2019.
- "Kousalya Krishnamurthy Song - Muddabanthi (Lyrical)". Times of India. 25 June 2019. Retrieved 30 June 2019.
- "Kousalya Krishnamurthy – Message oriented sports drama". 123telugu.
- "KOUSALYA KRISHNAMURTHY MOVIE REVIEW". TimesofIndia.
- "Kousalya Krishnamurthy movie review: This sports drama is impressive only in parts!". DeccanChronicle.
- "Kousalya Krishnamurthy Review: Cliched Cricket Drama". GreatAndhra.