Gadde Rajendra Prasad (born 19 July 1958) is an Indian actor who predominantly works in Telugu films. He is a recipient of four Andhra Pradesh state Nandi Awards, three SIIMA Awards, and three Santosham Film Awards.
Gadde Rajendra Prasad
19 July 1958
Prasad made his debut in 1977 with Sneham and gained recognition with Manchu Pallaki (1982). He then went on to be starred in several successful comedy films such as Rendu Rellu Aaru (1986), Ladies Tailor (1986), Aha Naa-Pellanta! (1987), Appula Appa Rao (1991), and Mayalodu (1993). He received Nandi Award for Best Actor for Erra Mandaram (1991) and Aa Naluguru (2004). He has also received an Honorary doctorate from Andhra University. In 2012, he starred in the medical thriller Dream, for which he won the Royal Reel Award at the Canada International Film Festival.
He is fondly called "Nata Kireeti" and he has been honoured with the title "Hasya Kireeti" by the Telugu Alliances of Canada, held at Mississauga. He was also honoured to walk the green carpet at the IIFA film festival held in 2009, marking his performance in the English-language film, Quick Gun Murugun.
Prasad was born into a middle-class family to Gadde Venkata Narayana and Manikyamba from Nimmakuru, Krishna District, Andhra Pradesh. His father was a teacher. Prasad completed his graduation with a diploma in Ceramic Engineering before entering the film industry. He joined a company, but had to resign from the job because he was too young. After witnessing the shooting of the film Tatamma Kala, he aspired to join the industry, and upon the suggestion of N.T.R and N. Trivikrama Rao he joined an acting school.
Prasad is married to Vijaya Chamundeswari. They have a son and a daughter.
Early career (1977 - 1985)Edit
Prasad made his debut as an actor on the silver screen with the film Sneham (1977), directed by Bapu. Initially he worked as a dubbing artist and played many supporting roles. He played a supporting role in the film Ramarajyamlo Bheemaraju, starring Krishna, which fetched him a chance in 14 films.
Breakthrough as a lead & comedy actor (1985 - 2004)Edit
He was identified by director Vamsy to play a lead role in his film, Preminchu Pelladu. He rose to fame with Vamsy's Ladies Tailor. He continued to act in supporting roles while also playing lead roles. In a career of over 35 years, he acted in more than 200 Telugu films and few Tamil films. Prasad has been called a great comedy actor and is fondly called the King of Comedy and Natakireeti in Andhra Pradesh.
His collaboration with director Jandhyala in Aha Naa Pellanta established him as a overnight star. He also made successful collaboration with directors Vamsy, E. V. V. Satyanarayana, S. V. Krishna Reddy and Relangi Narasimha Rao. Notably, Relangi made 32 films (out of 70 as director) with Prasad.
Critically acclaimed roles (2004 - 2011)Edit
One major role which garnered him a lot of accolades was in the movie Aa Naluguru, for which he has won the State Nandi Award for the second time in his career. Critically acclaimed films such as Mee Sreyobhilashi and Onamalu made him one of the most promising actors in Telugu film industry. He acted as Lord Hanuman in the blockbuster multi-starrer film Devullu.
In 2009, Prasad played the titular role in English-language film, Quick Gun Murugun. The film was screened at the London Film Festival, the Indian Film Festival of Los Angeles, the New York Asian Film Festival and at The Museum of Modern Art, New York.
Supporting roles (2011 - present)Edit
He played remarkable characters as supporting artist in films such as Julai, Aagadu, S/O Satyamurthy, Srimanthudu and Nannaku Prematho as well as elderly characters in films like Dagudumoota Dandakore.
Telugu people emigrated abroad would take Prasad's movies along with them, such was the popularity and impact of his films on at least two generations of Telugu people. The then prime minister P. V. Narasimha Rao too was a huge fan of Prasad.
- Nandi Award for Best Actor (1991) for Erra Mandaram
- Nandi Special Jury Award (1994) for Madam
- Nandi Award for Best Actor (2004) for Aa Naluguru
- Nandi Award for Best Character Actor (2014) for Tommy
- SIIMA Award for Best Supporting Actor (Telugu) (2013) for Julai at 2nd SIIMA
- SIIMA Award for Best Supporting Actor (Telugu) (2016) for Srimanthudu at 5th SIIMA
- SIIMA Award for Best Supporting Actor (Telugu) (2019) for Mahanati at 8th SIIMA
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|Aadadi Gadapa Daatite|
|Moodu Mulla Bandham||Murali|
|1981||Daari Tappina Manishi||Atma|
|1982||Ee Charitra Ae Sirato||Varun|
|Pelli Chesi Chupestham||Papa Rao|
|Inimai Idho Idho||Tamil film|
|Poratam||Tailor Appa Rao|
|Idi Kaadu Mugimpu||Krishna|
|Ee Pillaku Pellavutundaa?||Dancer|
|Ee Desamlo Oka Roju||Bus Passenger|
|1984||Ee Chaduvulu Makkodu||Kishan|
|Aakali Neeku Joharlu|
|Gundi Gantalu Mrogayi||Mestri|
|Desham lo Dongalu Paddaru|
|Rustum||Paper Punna Rao|
|1985||Vandemataram||Dr.G. N. Kal / Nukaal|
|Ada Pillale Nayam||Devadasu|
|Ottuku Viluva Ivvandi|
|Mangalya Bandham||Bus Conductor|
|Kotha Pelli Koothuru||Raja|
|Preminchu Pelladu||Rambabu||Debut film as Hero
Nominated-Filmfare Award for Best Actor – Telugu
|Kattula Kondaiah||Inspector Vijay|
|Karu Diddina Kapuram||Satya Keerthi David|
|Oka Radha Iddaru Krishnulu||Prasad|
|Ladies Tailor||Sundaram (Tailor)|
|Rendu Rella Aaru||Mad / Madhusudhana Rao / Venkata Sivam|
|1987||Samsaram Oka Chadarangam||Raghava|
|Lawyer Suhasini||Surya Prakash Rao|
|Manmadha Leela Kamaraju Gola||Kamaraju|
|Damit Katha Adam Thirigindi||Gagapathi & Chakravarthy||Dual role|
|Gundamma Gari Krishnulu||Gopala Krishna|
|Gandhinagar Rendava Veedhi||Prabhu / Ram Singh|
|Aha Naa Pellanta||Krishna Murthy||Nominated-Filmfare Award for Best Actor – Telugu|
|Naku Pellam Kavali||Lakshmana|
|Bhama Kalapam||Krishna Murthy|
|Bava Marudula Saval||Inspector Jai Kumar|
|Bharya Bhartala Bhagotham||Basu / Bhagothula Subramanyam|
|Jhansi Rani||Mr. V / Sriraj|
|Pelli Chesi Choodu||Mohan|
|Sahasam Cheyara Dimbhaka||Chandram|
|Chikkadu Dorakadu||Raja & Chinnababu Dillep||Dual role|
|Station Master||Rama Rao|
|Donga Kollu||Alli Billi Anjineelu|
|Vivaha Bhojanambu||Sitarama Rao|
|Chettu Kinda Pleader||Balaraju|
|Bamma Maata Bangaru Baata||Kishtaiah|
|Chalaki Mogudu Chadastapu Pellam||Giri|
|Gaduggai||Gopi / Pandu|
|Gopala Rao Gari Abbayi||Ranga|
|Jayammu Nischayammu Raa||Rambabu|
|Zoo Laka Taka||Prabhu|
|1990||Idem Pellam Baboi||Kalyana Chakravarthy|
|Mahajananiki Maradalu Pilla||Ravi / Kishtaiyah|
|Minor Raja||Minor Raja|
|April 1 Vidudala||Diwakaram|
|Attintlo Adde Mogudu||Gopi|
|Iddaru Pellala Muddula Police||Constable Kishtaiyah & Anand||Dual role|
|Edurinti Mogudu Pakkinti Pellam||Bava / Badaradandi Varaprasad|
|Yerra Mandaram||Ramudu||Nominated-Filmfare Award for Best Actor – Telugu|
|Pelli Pustakam||KK / K. Krishna Murthy|
|Appula Appa Rao||Appula Apparao|
|Subba Rayudi Pelli||Subbarayudu|
|Pellaniki Premalekha Priyuraliki Subhalekha||Raja|
|Seetapathi Chalo Tirupathi||Seethapati|
|Valu Jada Tolu Beltu||Accha Rao|
|Aa Okkati Adakku||Chitti Babu|
|1993||Srinatha Kavi Sarvabhowmudu||Raja Vallabha Devudu|
|Kannayya Kittayya||Kannaiya (Lord Krishna) & Kittaya||Dual role|
|Alibaba Aradajanu Dongalu||Alibaba|
|Joker||Balaji / Joker|
|Akka Pethanam Chellili Kapuram||Satyanarayana|
|Mister Pellam||Balaji||Nominated-Filmfare Award for Best Actor – Telugu|
|Pekata Papa Rao||Pekata Papa Rao|
|Madam||Prasad / Madam Sarojini / Mandakini|
|1995||Vaddu Bava Thappu||Raja|
|Lingababu Love Story||Lingababu|
|Mummy Mee Aayanochadu||Satish|
|Topi Raja Sweety Roja||Raja|
|Ladies Doctor||Dr. Ram Prasad|
|Mama Bagunnava||Gopala Krishna|
|Ulta Palta||Raja & Raja||Dual role|
|Mee Aayana Jagratha||Gopi Krishna|
|1999||Chinni Chinni Aasa||Raja|
|Yamajathakudu||Yama Dharma Raju|
|2000||Kshemamga Velli Labhamga Randi||Rambabu|
|Antha Mana Manchike||Jagapati|
|Apparao Ki Oka Nela Thappindi||Schemes Apparao & Appula Apparao||Dual role|
|Maa Alludu Very Good||A.V.Rao|
|2004||Oka Pellam Muddu Rendo Pellam Vaddu||Hari Chandra|
|Andaru Dongale Dorikite||Bangaru Raju|
|Apparao Driving School||Apparao|
|Aa Naluguru||Raghuram||Nominated-Filmfare Award for Best Actor – Telugu|
|2005||Mahasadhvi Mallamma||Barama Reddy||Kannada film|
|Pellam Pichodu||Srinivas / Srinu|
|2006||Iddaru Attala Muddula Alludu||Balu|
|Bhagyalakshmi Bumper Draw||Bullabbai||Nominated-Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actor – Telugu|
|2007||Mee Sreyobhilashi||Rajaji||Nominated-Filmfare Award for Best Actor – Telugu|
|2009||Quick Gun Murugan||Quick Gun Murugan||English film|
|2010||Brahmalokam To Yamalokam Via Bhulokam||Lord Brahma|
|Gudu Gudu Gunjam||Gopalam|
|2011||Bhale Mogudu Bhale Pellam||Venkat|
|Yemainadoi Naalo||Lord Krishna|
|Ayyare||Prasad / Swamiji / Lord Krishna|
|Julai||DIG Sitaram||SIIMA Award for Best Supporting Actor
Nominated-Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actor – Telugu
|2013||Manushulatho Jagratha||Yama Dharma Raju|
|Vasundhara Nilayam||Sanjeev Chaturvedi|
|Man of the Match||Radha Krishna|
|2015||Top Rankers||Principal Viswanath|
|S/O Satyamurthy||Paida Sambasiva Rao|
|Srimanthudu||Narayana Rao||SIIMA Award for Best Supporting Actor|
|Akhil||K.V. Rajendra Prasad|
|2016||Nannaku Prematho||Ramesh Chandra Prasad alias Subramaniam|
|Eedo Rakam Aado Rakam||Advocate Narayana|
|Intlo Deyyam Nakem Bhayam||Gopala Krishna|
|Shamanthakamani||Uma Maheswara Rao / Mahesh Babu|
|Raja The Great||Prasad|
|2018||Oo Pe Ku Ha|
|Mahanati||K. V. Chowdary||SIIMA Award for Best Supporting Actor|
|Ee Maaya Peremito||Babu Rao|
|2019||F2: Fun and Frustration||Prasad|
|Kee||Gnaneshwara Rao||Tamil film|
|Burra Katha||Eeswara Rao|
|Kousalya Krishnamurthy||Krishna Murthy|
|Tholu Bommalata||Somaraju / Sodal Raju|
|2020||Sarileru Neekevvaru||Siva Prasad|
|Ala Vaikunthapurramloo||IG Prajapathi|
|College Kumar||Sasi Kumar|
|Miss India||Dr. Viswanatha Sastry||Netflix film|
|Solo Brathuke So Better||Venkataramana|
|2021||Gaali Sampath||Gaali Sampath|
|Checkmate||Inspector Krishna Prasad|
|Gully Rowdy||Head Constable Patapagalu Venkat Rao|
|Annabelle Sethupathi||Sivabalan||Tamil film|
- Dubbing artist
|2000||Thenali||Jayaram||Telugu dubbed version|
- Rachamalla, Suresh (19 July 2020). "#HBDRajendraprasad : నవ్వుల రారాజుకు 64వ పుట్టినరోజు శుభాకాంక్షలు.. ప్రత్యేక కథనం." News18 Telugu (in Telugu). Retrieved 1 March 2021.
- Narasimham, M. l (19 March 2010). "Here comes the Creator". Retrieved 16 August 2018 – via www.thehindu.com.
- 2013 Official Selections Archived 1 March 2013 at WebCite
- Krishnamoorthy, Suresh (4 March 2013). "'Dream' hops to Canada in flying colours". Retrieved 16 August 2018 – via www.thehindu.com.
- Eenadu daily, Eenadu Cinema, page 16, 11 April 2013
- "Mind it!". 19 June 2009. Retrieved 16 August 2018 – via www.thehindu.com.
- Eenadu Telugu newspaper daily, July 19, 2016
- "Chiranjeevi, Samantha at Rajendra Prasad's son wedding". Rediff. Retrieved 1 March 2021.
- Stars : Star Profiles : Rajendra Prasad Archived 18 April 2012 at the Wayback Machine
- "Dr Rajendra Prasad News". filmibeat.com. Retrieved 16 August 2018.
- "Aa Naluguru – Telugu cinema different perspective – analysis on latest Telugu movies". www.idlebrain.com. Retrieved 16 August 2018.
- "MoMA Celebrates Contemporary Indian Cinema". Huliq. 28 August 2009. Retrieved 13 September 2011.
- "Rajendra Prasad Never be Ignored". Retrieved 16 August 2018.
- "Rajendra Prasad beats Jayasudha to win MAA president Post". The Hans India. Retrieved 16 August 2018.
- "నంది అవార్డు విజేతల పరంపర (1964–2008)" [A series of Nandi Award Winners (1964–2008)] (PDF) (in Telugu). Information & Public Relations of Andhra Pradesh. Retrieved 21 August 2020.
- "Nitya, Nag bag awards on star-studded night". 16 June 2013. Retrieved 16 August 2018 – via www.thehindu.com.
- "Climax Movie: Showtimes, Review, Trailer, Posters, News & Videos", The Times of India, retrieved 3 September 2021
- "Veteran director K Raghavendra Rao to debut as actor with 'Pelli SandaD'". The News Minute. 31 July 2021.
- "Senapathi trailer: Rajendra Prasad's OTT debut promises an intense thriller". The Indian Express. 29 December 2021.
- "పిసినారి గా ఎఫ్3 లో సీనియర్ నటుడు?". Andhra Prabha (in Telugu). 7 June 2021.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rajendra Prasad (actor).|