Knoxville News Sentinel
This article includes a list of general references, but it remains largely unverified because it lacks sufficient corresponding inline citations. (June 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Founded||1886(as The Sentinel)|
|Headquarters||2332 News Sentinel Drive|
Knoxville, Tennessee 37921
150,147 Sunday 
The newspaper was formed in 1926 from the merger of two competing newspapers: The Knoxville News and The Knoxville Sentinel. John Trevis Hearn began publishing The Sentinel in December 1886, while The News was started in 1921 by Robert P. Scripps and Roy W. Howard. The two merged in 1926, with the first edition of The Knoxville News-Sentinel appearing on November 22 of that year. The editor from 1921 to 1931, Edward J. Meeman, later was sent to Memphis to edit the since defunct Memphis Press-Scimitar.
In 1986, the News-Sentinel became a morning paper, with the other paper in Knoxville, the Knoxville Journal, becoming an evening paper. The Journal ceased publication as a daily in 1991, when the joint operating agreement between the two papers expired. In 2002, the paper dropped the hyphen from its name to become the Knoxville News Sentinel.
Knoxnews.com has won many national awards, including winning three 2008 Digital Edge Awards from the Newspaper Association of America for best overall news website, most innovative user-participation and best site design.
The News Sentinel has sponsored four winners of the Scripps National Spelling Bee:
- "2007 Top 100 Daily Newspapers in the U.S. by Circulation" (PDF). BurrellesLuce. March 31, 2007. Retrieved May 31, 2007.
- Lester, Connie L. "Knoxville News-Sentinel". Tennessee Encyclopedia of History and Culture. Retrieved November 8, 2006.
- "Scripps Newspapers: Knoxville News Sentinel". The E.W. Scripps Company. Archived from the original on October 20, 2006. Retrieved November 8, 2006.
- About Us. Knoxville News Sentinel.
- "Edward John Meeman". The Tennessee Encyclopedia. January 1, 2010. Retrieved May 24, 2015.
- Trosky, Steve (March 17, 2017). "News Sentinel names new president". Retrieved May 18, 2017.
- "Jack McElroy bio". KnoxNews.com.
- "Staff Directory". KnoxNews.com. Retrieved May 18, 2017.
- Mooney, Jack (1996). A History of Tennessee Newspapers.
- Official website
- Other internet properties owned by the Knoxville News Sentinel
- From Papers to Pixels - an effort by the Knox County Public Library system to create a digital archive of the News Sentinel spanning the years 1922 to 1990