Kawasemi Yamasemi (かわせみ やませみ) is a two-car limited express train operated by Kyushu Railway Company (JR Kyushu) in Japan.
On November 9, 2016, JR Kyushu released a press release detailing its new themed limited express, Kawasemi Yamasemi, scheduled to debut in spring 2017. On December 16, 2016, it was revealed that the new train would begin operation on March 4, 2017. It is currently in normal operation.
The Kawasemi Yamasemi is named for the Kingfisher and Crested Kingfisher, and follows the Kuma River along its route. It features the birds extensively as its motif.
The train was designed by Eiji Mitooka and Don Design and Associates, and used local resources (such as Japanese cypress and cedar) extensively in its construction. Onboard sales will also consist of local products.
The two cars are named Kawasemi and Yamasemi, respectively. They are both converted from KiHa 47 diesel multiple units. Kawasemi (blue) was converted from KiHa 47 8087. Yamasemi (green) was converted from KiHa 47 9051.
- "JR 九州 11 番目のＤ＆Ｓ（デザイン＆ストーリー）列車" [JR Kyushu 11th Design and Story Train] (PDF) (in Japanese). JR Kyushu.
- "平成 29 年春ダイヤ改正" [Heisei 29 Spring Timetable Revision] (PDF) (in Japanese). JR Kyushu.
- "JR Kyushu Kawasemi Yamasemi English Overview".
- "JR Kyushu unveils new sightseeing train colored after local forest, river". Mainichi Daily News. 2017-02-28.
- Kaname, Kakuta. "Sightseeing train offers aromas and flavors of Kumamoto". Asahi Shimbun.
- "JR九州のD&S列車「かわせみ やませみ」、3月4日いよいよデビュー" [JR Kyushu D&S train Kawasemi Yamasemi, March 4th Debut]. Raillab.jp (in Japanese).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kawasemi Yamasemi.|