Karl Allmendinger (3 February 1891 – 2 October 1965) was a general in the Wehrmacht of Nazi Germany during World War II. He commanded the 5th Infantry Division, V Army Corps then 17th Army on the Eastern Front. He was a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves.
|Born||3 February 1891|
Abtsgmünd, Kingdom of Bavaria, German Empire
|Died||2 October 1965 (aged 74)|
|Allegiance|| German Empire |
|Years of service||1910–45|
|Rank||General of the Infantry|
|Battles/wars||World War II|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Allmendinger was appointed to command the 5th Infantry Division as a Generalmajor on 25 October 1940. His division was committed to the invasion of the Soviet Union in June 1941, and he was awarded the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 17 July. He was promoted to Generalleutnant on 1 August 1942, and was awarded the Oak Leaves to his Knight's Cross on 13 December 1942. He was relieved of command of the division on 4 January 1943. In the Army's reserve since 1944, he was arrested by U.S. forces in 1945 but released in 1946.
Allmendinger was the son of Karl Allmendinger (Author) (1863 – 1946), a teacher, poet and writer.
- Clasp to the Iron Cross (1939) 2nd Class (20 September 1939) & 1st Class (21 May 1940)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Bradley, Dermot (1993). Die Generale des Heeres 1921–1945. Die militärischen Werdegänge der Generale, sowie der Ärzte, Veterinäre, Intendanten, Richter und Ministerialbeamten im Generalsrang. Band 1: Abberger–Bitthorn [The Generals of the Army from 1921 to 1945. The Military Careers of the Generals, and the Doctors, Veterinarians, Directors, Judges and Ministry Officials in the rank of General. Volume 1: Abberger-Bitthorn] (in German). Osnabrück: Biblio Verlag. pp. 40–41. ISBN 3-7648-2423-9.
- Mitcham, Samuel W. (2007). German Order of Battle: 291st-999th Infantry divisions, named infantry divisions, and special divisions in World War II. Stackpole Books. pp. 166–. ISBN 978-0-8117-3437-0.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Militaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
- Thomas, Franz (1997). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 1: A–K [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 1: A–K] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-7648-2299-6.
General Wilhelm Fahrmbacher
| Commander of 5th Infantry Division
25 October 1940 – June 1942
Oberst Walter Jost
Oberst Walter Jost
| Commander of 5th Jäger Division
July 1942 – 4 January 1943
General der Infanterie Helmut Thumm
General der Infanterie Wilhelm Wetzel
| Commander of V Army Corps
1 July 1943 – 1 May 1944
Generalleutnant Hermann Böhme
Generaloberst Erwin Jaenecke
| Commander of 17th Army
1 May 1944 – 25 July 1944
General der Infanterie Friedrich Schulz