Karine Chemla (born February 8, 1957) is a French historian of mathematics and sinologist who works as a director of research at the Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS). She is also a senior fellow at the New York University Institute for the Study of the Ancient World. She was elected a Member of the American Philosophical Society in 2019.
Chemla studied at Paris Diderot University and the École normale supérieure de jeunes filles, earning an agrégation in mathematics in 1978 and a diploma of advanced studies in 1979. At this time, her work was in pure mathematics. However, in 1980, influenced by the work of Ilya Prigogine, she won a Singer–Polignac scholarship to travel to China and study the history of Chinese mathematics. Returning to France, she earned her Ph.D. in the history of mathematics from Paris 13 University in 1982, and began working for CNRS at that time.
Chemla was an invited speaker at the International Congress of Mathematicians in 1998. She became a member of the Academy of Sciences Leopoldina in 2004, of the International Academy of the History of Science in 2005, and of the Academia Europaea in 2013. In 2013–2014 she was the holder of the Sarton Chair of History of Science at Ghent University.
- CHEMLA Karine, Lab. SPHERE (Sciences, Philosophy, History), CNRS, retrieved 2015-10-15.
- "Karine Chemla", Senior Fellows, NYU ISAW, retrieved 2015-10-15.
- Curriculum vitae: Karine Chemla (PDF), Leopoldina, retrieved 2015-10-15.
- De Mol, Liesbeth (2014), "Laudatio Karine Chemla", Sartoniana, 27: 9–12.
- Volkov, Alexei (2010), "Commentaries upon commentaries: The translation of the Jiu zhang suan shu 九章算術 by Karine Chemla and Guo Shuchun", Historia Mathematica, 37 (2): 281–301, doi:10.1016/j.hm.2009.07.010.
- Miao, Tian (2006), "Reviewed Work: Les Neuf Chapitres. Le Classique mathématique de la Chine ancienne et ses commentaires by Karine Chemla, Shuchun Guo", Review, T'oung Pao, Second Series, 92 (4/5): 511–513, JSTOR 4529052.
- Raphals, Lisa (2007), "Reviewed Work: Les neuf chapitres: Le classique mathématique de la Chine ancienne et ses commentaires by Karine Chemla, Guo Shuchun, Geoffrey Lloyd", Review, Isis, 98 (1): 175–176, doi:10.1086/519096.
- ICM Plenary and Invited Speakers since 1897, International Mathematical Union, retrieved 2015-10-01.
- "Prof. Dr. Karine Chemla", List of Members, Leopoldina, retrieved 2015-10-15.
- Member profile: Karine Chemla, Academia Europaea, retrieved 2015-10-15.
- Sarton Chair of History of Science: Past chair holders, Ghent University, retrieved 2015-10-15.