This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2019)
Kalpana Iyer (born 26 July 1956) is a former Indian actress, singer, and model, who is best known for her works in Hindi cinema throughout the 1980s and 1990s. She appeared in over 100 films, and is accredited for her performances in many popular dance numbers as well as for her supporting and guest roles in many films.
|Occupation||Actress • singer • model|
Kalpana mostly appeared as a vamp in a number of Hindi films, continuing in the tradition of Bindu, Helen and Aruna Irani. Some of her famous dance numbers are "Hari om Hari" in Pyaara Dushman (1980), "Tu Mujhe Jaan" in Wardat (1981) and "Rambha Ho" in Armaan (1981). Some of her renowned films are Satte Pe Satta (1982), Disco Dancer (1982), Anjaam (1994), Raja Hindustani (1996), and Hum Saath Saath Hain (1999). She was critically acclaimed for her performance as a cruel prison warden in Anjaam which also featured Bollywood superstars Madhuri Dixit and Shah Rukh Khan. As of 2019, Iyer has appeared in a variety of films, as well as working on television.
She was born in a Tamil Brahmin family Despite being considered as one of the bold actresses of her time, Iyer mentioned how she had a rather conservative mindset and was often misunderstood. Iyer told FirstPost in 2019:
"I was always misunderstood, you know, as the ‘it-girl’ personifying glamour and oomph. A Miss India, a model, an actress. Everyone assumed I was bold but I was actually very simple… God-fearing, always concerned about ruffling the feathers of my conservative Tam Bram family who were quiet and simple, and into Carnatic music… telling too many white lies to protect too many people."— Kalpana Iyer
Throughout her career, Iyer has appeared in over 100 films.
- Poonam (1981)
- Hum Se Badkar Kaun(1981) as Shalu
- Satte Pe Satta (1982) as Ranjeet Mistress
- Hum Hain Lajawaab (1984) as Alif-Laila , Dancer
- Nallavanukku Nallavan (1984) item number
- Ameer Aadmi Gharib Aadmi (1985)
- Zakhmi Aurat (1988) as Kanta
- Mil Gayee Manzil Mujhe(1989) as Kamini
- Abhi To Main Jawan Hoon (1989)
- Laadla (1994 film) as Kamini
- Anjaam (1994) as Jailor Warden
- Gundaraj (1995) as Public Prosecutor
- Hum Saath Saath Hain (1999) as Shobha Mishra
|1992-1993||Kashish||Mrs. Anand (Rahul's mother)||DD National|
|Chandrakanta||Dum Dumi Maai|
|Banegi Apni Baat||Revati||Zee Tv|
|[Margarita] (serial) | Margarita ||"Elena Mai"
- Miss India at Miss World: Femina Miss India and Eve's Weekly Delegates to the Miss World Pageant
- Soparrkar, Sandip (29 December 2015). "Revisiting old memories with Kalpana Iyer". The Asian Age. Archived from the original on 27 October 2019. Retrieved 27 October 2019.
- "Kalpana Iyer". IMDb. Archived from the original on 28 December 2018. Retrieved 28 June 2018.
- Bhattacharya, Roshmila BhattacharyaRoshmila (5 August 2019). "Kalpana Iyer: I want to work for as long as I can". Mumbai Mirror. Archived from the original on 6 August 2019. Retrieved 27 October 2019.
- "The Tribune...Sunday Reading". Archived from the original on 3 March 2016. Retrieved 25 August 2008.
- "Kalpana Iyer: 'I regret not getting married'-Entertainment News , Firstpost". Firstpost. 12 April 2019. Retrieved 11 February 2022.
- "raja hindustani actress kalpana iyer now working restro dubai | 'राजा हिंदुस्तानी'मधील 'ही' अभिनेत्री पहा आता कशी दिसते ! आर्थिक अडचणींमुळे झाले 'हाल' आता करते 'असं' काम". पोलीसनामा (Policenama). 4 October 2019. Archived from the original on 27 October 2019. Retrieved 27 October 2019.
- "Kalpana Iyer: 'I regret not getting married'-Entertainment News , Firstpost". Firstpost. 12 April 2019. Retrieved 9 January 2022.