Kalecik is a town and district of Ankara Province in the Central Anatolia region of Turkey. According to 2010 census, population of the district is 14,517 of which 9,450 live in the town of Kalecik. The district covers an area of 1,340 km2 (517 sq mi), and the average elevation is 725 m (2,379 ft).
Location of Kalecik, Ankara within Turkey.
|• Governor||İrfan Demiröz|
|• Mayor||Nevzat Şahin (CHP)|
|• District||1,340.46 km2 (517.55 sq mi)|
|Elevation||725 m (2,379 ft)|
|• District density||10/km2 (26/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+3 (EEST)|
Kalecik stands on a plain with the eastern boundary formed by the River Kızılırmak while there are mountains to the south and the west. This agricultural district is known for its wine; other major crops include sugar beet and grains.
The popular grape variety Kalecik Karası grows successfully near the Kızılırmak and is used to make some of Turkey's best red wine.
The area has a history going back to the Hittites and even earlier (4000 BC). In the Ottoman Empire period this was a thriving town recorded by the 17th-century traveler Evliya Çelebi as being a trading city with tanneries, coppersmiths, and weavers.
Places of interestEdit
Villages in the districtEdit
- "Area of regions (including lakes), km²". Regional Statistics Database. Turkish Statistical Institute. 2002. Retrieved 2013-03-05.
- "Population of province/district centers and towns/villages by districts - 2012". Address Based Population Registration System (ABPRS) Database. Turkish Statistical Institute. Retrieved 2013-02-27.
- Statistical Institute[permanent dead link]
- GeoHive. "Statistical information on Turkey's administrative units". Archived from the original on 2007-10-19. Retrieved 2008-03-30.
- Statoids. "Statistical information on districts of Turkey". Retrieved 2008-05-02.
- "Şarap Üretim Teknolojisi Programı" (in Turkish). Kalecik Meslek Yüksekokulu. Retrieved 2015-07-28.