Kalasatama (Swedish: Fiskehamnen; literally translated "fish port") is a neighbourhood in the city of Helsinki, Finland. The area is officially part of the Sörnäinen district; and like Sörnäinen, Kalasatama is located a little more than one kilometre north from the coastal centre of Helsinki, near the district of Hakaniemi, and The east side of Kalasatama borders the sea. Itäväylä, which leads in the direction of East Helsinki, runs next to Kalasatama. The Isoisänsilta pedestrian and cycling bridge, opened in 2016, connects Kalasatama to the nearby islands of Mustikkamaa, Korkeasaari and Kulosaari.
The aerial view of Kalasatama in March 2020
|Area||070 km2 (30 sq mi)|
|• Density||4,839/km2 (12,530/sq mi)|
|Subdivision number||10 (part-division 102)|
|Neighbouring subdivisions||Vilhonvuori, Hanasaari, Sompasaari, Kyläsaari, Hermanninmäki, Hermanninranta, Kulosaari|
Kalasatama is becoming a rather densely built-up area - about 25,000 inhabitants will come there, about as many as in Kallio. In addition, jobs are planned for Kalasatama for about 10,000 people. A concentration of 23- to 35-storey skyscraper towers are coming to the Kalasatama center area around the Kalasatama metro station, which was completed in 2007. One of the towers, called Majakka, and the Redi shopping centre are already completed, while the second tower Loisto is still under construction. Construction of the third tower, Kompanssi, began in Spring 2020.
Attempts have been made to build a smart city from Kalasatama that focuses on smart sensors and robotics. Guide robots in the doctors' offices, robot buses and food delivery robots have already been on display in Kalasatama.
- "Uusi silta yhdistää Kalasataman ja Mustikkamaan ja johdattaa aina Korkeasaareen saakka" [New bridge connects Kalasatama to Mustikkamaa and leads all the way to Korkeasaari] (in Finnish). Yle. 1 June 2016. Retrieved 8 November 2020.
- Kalasatama – Uutta Helsinkiä
- Asemat: Taide ja arkkitehdit
- Kalasataman tornien toinen asuinpilvenpiirtäjä Loisto lähestyy harjakorkeutta
- Construction of third tower in Kalasatama begins - Uutta Helsinkiä
- A Robot At The Doctors Office – Feedbackly
- Helsinki Day: Another one rides the (robot) bus – mySMARTLife
- YLE: Robotti tuo ostokset kotiovelle ja vitsailee hissin kanssa: "En yletä painamaan nappia" – katso kuinka robottilähetti kulkee Helsingin Kalasatamassa (in Finnish)
Media related to Kalasatama at Wikimedia Commons
- Kalasatama | Uutta Helsinkiä - Kalasatama in the Uutta Helsinkiä site
- Kalasatama Smart City | My Helsinki - Kalasatama in the My Helsinki site
Construction of the Kalasatama metro station in 2006
The main building of Statistics Finland in Kalasatama
The REDI shopping centre
|This Southern Finland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|