Kal: Yesterday and Tomorrow
Kal: Yesterday and Tomorrow is a 2005 Indian Hindi-language thriller drama film written and directed by Ruchi Narain. Produced by Sudhir Mishra under Sudhir Mishra Productions, the film features an ensemble cast of Chitrangda Singh, Shiney Ahuja, Smriti Mishra, Ram Kapoor, Malaika Shenoy, Sarika and Boman Irani. Shantanu Moitra composed the soundtrack and Sneha Khanwalkar composed the title track and the background score. While Prakash Kutty and Ranjeet Bahadur handled cinematography and editing respectively. The film was premiered at 7th Osian's Cinefan Festival of Asian and Arab Cinema in July 2005 won Indian Critics’ Award and released on 16 September 2005.
|Kal: Yesterday and Tomorrow|
|Directed by||Ruchi Narain|
|Produced by||Sudhir Mishra|
|Written by||Ruchi Narain|
|Music by||Shantanu Moitra|
|Edited by||Ranjeet Bahadur|
|16 September 2005|
|Box office||est.₹35 lakh|
Bhavna Dayal and Maya Jalan had been fellow collegians and close friends, both come from very wealthy families. Bhavna is in love with another ex-fellow collegian, Tarun Haksar, who also comes from a wealthy family, and is also in love with Bhavna. Their respective families' expect both to marry each other. However, Tarun and Maya suddenly announce their engagement, and get married, leaving a shocked and heart-broken Bhavna to deal with this situation on her own. She eventually breaks off all contact with her former lover and friend respectively. One night, several months later, a disturbed Tarun returns to her life and apartment, and stays there overnight. The next day she is shocked to find out that Maya has been shot dead, and the police suspect Tarun of killing her. The question remains if Tarun had spent the entire night with Bhavna, then who killed Maya, and further why did Tarun decide to return to Bhavna's life all of a sudden?
- Chitrangada Singh as Bhavana Dayal
- Shiney Ahuja as Tarun Haksar
- Smriti Mishra as Maya Jalan
- Ram Kapoor as Rohan Sehgal
- Murad Ali as Teji Rathore
- Malaika Shenoy as Sangeeta Nair
- Sarika as Ira Haksar
- Boman Irani as Yashwant Dayal
- Saurabh Shukla as Rajesh Jalan
- Deepak Qazir as Lakshmi Narayan Jalan
- Vivek Madan as Anju Jalan
- Gopi Desai as Sajida Dayal
- Arbaaz Ali Khan as Sameer Dayal
- Murali Sharma as Shekhar
- Yusuf Hussein as Madan Haksar
Taran Adarsh writing for Bollywood Hungama gave 1 out of 5 stars stating, "Ruchi has a different style of narrating a story, but cinema such as KAL - YESTERDAY & TOMORROW is not everybody's cup of tea. It gets too complicated as it unfolds!".
- "KAL - YESTERDAY & TOMORROW". Box Office India. Retrieved 14 September 2020.
- "Dawn of a new Kal?". Hindustan Times. 26 July 2005. Retrieved 14 September 2020.
- "Sudhir Mishra's Kal – Yesterday and Tomorrow". Bollywood Hungama. 5 July 2004. Retrieved 14 September 2020.
- "Sneha Khanwalker rumoured to be in negotiations with RGV for soundtrack of his next film". India Today. 24 October 2005. Retrieved 14 September 2020.
- "Kal-Yesterday and Tomorrow Cast & Crew". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 14 September 2020.
- "Osian's Cinefan Festival of Asian Cinema: Portraying diversity and beauty of Asia". India Today. 18 July 2005. Retrieved 14 September 2020.
- "Platform for new voices". The Tribune India. 7 August 2005. Retrieved 14 September 2020.
- "Kal-Yesterday and Tomorrow Movie Review". Bollywood Hungama. 16 September 2005. Retrieved 14 September 2020.