K. A. Sengottaiyan
K. A. Sengottaiyan (born 9 January 1948) is an Indian politician. Currently, he is the Minister for School Education in the Government of Tamil Nadu. He also served as the party presidium chairman of the All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam.
K. A. Sengottaiyan
|Minister for School Education (Government of Tamil Nadu)|
|Assumed office |
16 May 2017
|Chief Minister||Edappadi K. Palaniswami|
|Preceded by||K. Pandiarajan|
|Minister for Information and Technology|
May 2011 – November 2011
|Minister for Agriculture|
|Minister for Transport|
24 June 1991 – 12 May 1996
|Member of Legislative Assembly|
|Born||9 January 1948|
Kullampalayam, Madras State, India
|Political party||All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam|
|Residence||Greenways Road, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India|
Gobichettipalayam, Tamil Nadu, India
He is an incumbent Member of the Legislative Assembly of Tamil Nadu from Gobichettipalayam constituency in Erode district. Previously, he was elected to the Tamil Nadu legislative assembly as an All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam candidate from Sathyamangalam constituency in 1977 election and from Gobichettipalayam constituency in 1980, 1984, 1989 (Jayalalitha faction), 1991, 2006, 2011 and 2016.
Sengottaiyan was Minister for Transport from 1991-1996 during first tenure of Jayalalithaa cabinet.He was again Minister for Agriculture until November 2011 when a cabinet reshuffle by Jayalalithaa resulted in that portfolio being given to S. Damodaran and Sengottiyan taking over the Information Technology portfolio from R. B. Udhaya Kumar.
In February 2017, following the appointment of Edappadi K. Palaniswami as Chief Minister in place of O. Paneerselvam, Sengottaiyan replaced K. Pandiarajan as Minister for School Education. Pandiarajan was the only cabinet minister to have supported Paneerselvam during a party dispute in which V. K. Sasikala was being touted as a possible Chief Minister. The appointment of Sengottaiyan was the only change made to the cabinet by Palaniswami at that time.
- "List of MLAs from Tamil Nadu" (PDF). Chief Electoral Officer, Tamil Nadu. Archived from the original (PDF) on 14 January 2014.
- 1977 Tamil Nadu Election Results, Election Commission of India
- 1980 Tamil Nadu Election Results, Election Commission of India
- 1984 Tamil Nadu Election Results, Election Commission of India
- 1991 Tamil Nadu Election Results, Election Commission of India
- 2006 Tamil Nadu Election Results, Election Commission of India
- "Jayalalithaa sacks six Tamil Nadu ministers". NDTV. PTI. 4 November 2011. Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- Mariappan, Julie (16 February 2017). "31-member Palaniswami cabinet to be sworn in at 4.30pm". The Economic Times all qualification unknown. Retrieved 5 May 2017.
|This article about an All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|