Juva (Swedish: Juva, also Jockas) is a municipality of Finland. It is located in the Southern Savonia region some 270 kilometres (170 mi) North-East of Helsinki. It was founded on 19 January 1442, and is the oldest parish/municipality in Finland whose exact date of birth is known. At the time, it was only the second parish in Eastern Finland, and later, several other parishes were separated from it, such as Sääminki, (present-day Savonlinna), Kuopio, Pieksämäki and Joroinen. Secular municipal administration was established in 1868.
|• Municipal manager||Mervi Simoska|
|• Total||1,345.69 km2 (519.57 sq mi)|
|• Land||1,163.23 km2 (449.13 sq mi)|
|• Water||182.32 km2 (70.39 sq mi)|
|Area rank||62nd largest in Finland|
|• Rank||156th largest in Finland|
|• Density||5.09/km2 (13.2/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||98.6% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||11.4%|
|• 15 to 64||52.1%|
|• 65 or older||36.5%|
|Time zone||UTC+02:00 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+03:00 (EEST)|
|Municipal tax rate||20.75%|
The municipality has a population of 5,920 (31 March 2021) and covers an area of 1,345.69 square kilometres (519.57 sq mi) of which 182.32 km2 (70.39 sq mi) is water. The population density is 5.09 inhabitants per square kilometre (13.2/sq mi). It is mainly an agricultural community, but possesses also some industries, notably WS Bookwell, a major printing press in Finland. The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
Lake Jukajärvi is located in Juva municipality.
- "Area of Finnish Municipalities 1.1.2018" (PDF). National Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Preliminary population structure by area, 2021M01*-2021M03*". StatFin (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 2 May 2021.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age (1-year) and sex by area and the regional division of each statistical reference year, 2003-2020". StatFin. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 2 May 2021.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2021" (PDF). Tax Administration of Finland. 1 December 2020. Retrieved 10 April 2021.
- Niiranen, Esko (17 September 2007). "Pitkä historia" (in Finnish). Municipality of Juva. Retrieved 7 April 2009.
Media related to Juva at Wikimedia Commons
- Municipality of Juva – Official website