José Luis Abajo
José Luis Abajo Gómez nicknamed Pirri (born 22 June 1978) is a Spanish épée fencer.
|José Luis Abajo|
|Full name||José Luis Abajo Gómez|
|Born||22 June 1978|
|Height||1.97 m (6 ft 5 1⁄2 in)|
|Weight||87 kg (192 lb; 13.7 st)|
|Club||Sala de Armas Madrid|
|FIE ranking||current ranking|
Abajo won the silver medal in the épée team event at the 2006 World Fencing Championships after losing against France in the final. He accomplished this with his teammates Ignacio Canto, Juan Castañeda and Eduardo Sepulveda Puerto.
He won the bronze medal in the Épée competition at the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, China, defeating Hungarian Gábor Boczkó.  Being this the first Olympic medal won by Spain in fencing, and becoming the Olympic medal number 100 (99 according to the IOC) in the history of Spain, regarding Winter and Summer Olympics.
Record Against Selected OpponentsEdit
Includes results from all competitions 2006–present and athletes who have reached the quarterfinals at the World Championships or Olympic Games, plus those who have medaled in major team competitions.
- Joaquim Videira 3-1
- Ulrich Robeiri 0-1
- Gábor Boczkó 1-3
- Stefano Carozzo 2-0
- Maksym Khvorost 1-1
- Alfredo Rota 2-0
- Matteo Tagliariol 0-2
- Bas Verwijlen 1-1
- Diego Confalonieri 1-1
- Sven Järve 3-0
- Fabrice Jeannet 0-1
- Anton Avdeev 0-1
- Silvio Fernandez 1-0
- Guillermo Madrigal Sardinas 1-0
- Radosław Zawrotniak 0-1
- 2006 World Fencing Championships, team épée
- "Fencing results". Sport. BBC. Retrieved 1 April 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- International Fencing Federation (ed.). "Abajo Gómez, José Luis (ESP)". Archived from the original on 2014-02-22. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "RANKINGS AND RESULTS". Fencer. International Fencing Federation. Retrieved 1 April 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)