Jon Robinson (American football)
Jonathan Thomas "Jon" Robinson (born January 18, 1976) is an American football executive who is the general manager and executive vice president of the Tennessee Titans of the National Football League (NFL).
Robinson with the Titans in 2019
|Born:||January 18, 1976|
Union City, Tennessee, U.S.
|College:||Southeast Missouri State|
|Career highlights and awards|
After high school, Robinson played football at the United States Air Force Academy for one season, before transferring to Southeast Missouri State University after one semester, where he played three seasons as a defensive lineman. He graduated from Southeast Missouri State in 1998 and joined his alma mater as a graduate assistant for one season. In 1999, he joined Nicholls State University as a graduate assistant for two seasons, and then served as their linebackers coach in 2001.
New England PatriotsEdit
He became an area scout for the New England Patriots in 2002, a position he held until 2006, when he was promoted to a regional scout. In 2008, he was promoted to the Patriots' assistant director of college scouting. In 2009, he was promoted to the position of Director of College Scouting for the New England Patriots, a position that he held until 2013.
Tampa Bay BuccaneersEdit
On January 14, 2016, Robinson was hired as the general manager of the Tennessee Titans. He improved on the Titans 2015 record, an abysmal 3-13, to 9-7 in 2016. They barely missed the playoffs after a Week 16 loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars. On January 5, 2017, Robinson, while retaining his general manager position, was promoted to executive vice president. In 2017, the Titans once again went 9-7, but made the playoffs for the first time since 2008. They beat the Kansas City Chiefs in the Wild Card, but fell to the New England Patriots in the Divisional Round. In 2018, the Titans went 9-7 again, but missed the playoffs in a Week 17 loss to the Indianapolis Colts. Robinson is the only general manager in the Titans era to have three, and now four, consecutive winning seasons. The Titans made the playoffs in 2019, with a 9-7 record for the fourth season in a row. After beating the Patriots in the Wild Card and heavily upsetting the Baltimore Ravens in the Divisional Round, the Titans lost to the Chiefs 35-24 in the AFC Championship.
During his tenure as general manager, Robinson has drafted 29 players. Two of which, running back Derrick Henry and safety Kevin Byard, have made Pro Bowls. Since then, three of Robinson’s free agent/trade acquisitions have also made Pro Bowls; those being running back DeMarco Murray, safety Brynden Trawick for special teams, and quarterback Ryan Tannehill.
Robinson is generally viewed very favorably by Titans fans for his successful tenure with the team. He is commonly referred to as JRob by the fans.
Notes and referencesEdit
- "Former Nicholls Assistant in Search of Third Super Bowl Ring with Patriots". Nicholls State University. February 2, 2008. Archived from the original on February 10, 2012. Retrieved September 29, 2008.
- "General News". The NCAA News. April 12, 1999. Retrieved September 29, 2008.[dead link]
- "Archived copy". Tampa Bay Buccaneers Official website. Archived from the original on January 16, 2018. Retrieved January 14, 2016.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Titans agree to terms with Jon Robinson as GM". Sportsnet. January 14, 2016. Retrieved January 16, 2018.
- Long, Mark (December 25, 2016). "Titans sputter, lose Mariota, fall to inspired Jaguars 38-17". DailyHerald.com. Retrieved September 19, 2020.
- Wyatt, Jim (January 5, 2017). "Jon Robinson Promoted to Executive Vice President and General Manager". TennesseeTitans.com. Retrieved September 19, 2020.
- Rexrode, Joe (December 31, 2017). "Titans earn first playoff bid since 2008 — and a new identity". Tennessean.com. Retrieved September 19, 2020.
- Patra, Kevin (January 5, 2018). "Titans complete second-half comeback, stun Chiefs". NFL.com. Retrieved September 19, 2020.
- "Divisional Round – Tennessee Titans at New England Patriots – January 13th, 2018". Pro-Football-Reference.com. January 18, 2018. Retrieved September 19, 2020.
- Wyatt, Jim (December 31, 2018). "Titans Fall Short of Playoffs, Lose 33-17 to Colts in Season Finale". TennesseeTitans.com. Retrieved September 19, 2020.
- "Jon Robinson". TennesseeTitans.com. Retrieved September 19, 2020.
- "Titans clinch playoff spot with 35-14 win over Texans". ESPN.com. December 29, 2019. Retrieved September 19, 2020.
- Wyatt, Jim (January 5, 2020). "Titans Knock Off Patriots 20-13, Advance to Face Ravens in Playoffs". TitansOnline.com. Retrieved September 19, 2020.
- Wyatt, Jim (January 11, 2020). "Titans Beat Ravens 28-12, Advance to AFC Championship Game". TitansOnline.com. Retrieved September 19, 2020.
- Wyatt, Jim (January 19, 2020). "Titans Come Up Short in 35-24 AFC Championship Game Loss to Chiefs". TitansOnline.com. Retrieved September 19, 2020.
- Pickard, Colton (July 19, 2020). "Tennessee Titans: Jon Robinson is one of the most trusted GMs in the NFL". TennTruth.com. Retrieved September 22, 2020.