John R. Stegner (born November 8, 1953) is an Associate Justice of the Idaho Supreme Court and former state district court judge.
|Associate Justice of the Idaho Supreme Court|
|Assumed office |
May 22, 2018
|Appointed by||Butch Otter|
|Preceded by||Warren Jones|
|Judge of the 2nd Judicial District Court of Idaho|
1997 – May 22, 2018
|Appointed by||Phil Batt|
|Born||November 8, 1953|
Grangeville, Idaho, U.S.
|Mother||Irma June Blewett Stegner (1918–2005)|
|Father||Charles B. Stegner (1914–1994)|
|Education||Whitman College (BA)|
University of Idaho (JD)
Early life and educationEdit
Born and raised in Grangeville, Idaho, Stegner is the youngest of four sons of Charles and June Stegner. He earned his Bachelor of Arts degree in 1977 from Whitman College and his Juris Doctor from the University of Idaho College of Law in 1982.
Stegner was in private practice in Lewiston for twelve years with Clements, Brown & McNichols. He clerked for the late United States District Judge Harold Ryan for two years and worked for the family business, Stegner Grain & Seed Co.
State judicial serviceEdit
Idaho Supreme CourtEdit
In 2017, he was considered for a vacancy on the Idaho Supreme Court created by the retirement of Dan Eismann, but Governor Butch Otter appointed G. Richard Bevan in late August. Another vacancy soon arose with the sudden retirement of Warren Jones, and Otter appointed Stenger to the supreme court on May 22, 2018. He was selected from among four finalists named by the Idaho Judicial Council after public interviews with 14 applicants, including six sitting judges. Stegner is the only justice on the state's highest court from the Idaho Panhandle.
- "June Stegner, 87, Clarkston". Lewiston Morning Tribune. (Idaho). (obituary). July 3, 2005. Retrieved August 29, 2018.
- "Charles B. Stegner, 79, Stegner Grain president". Lewiston Morning Tribune. (Idaho). (obituary). March 8, 2005. Retrieved August 29, 2018.
- "Hon. John R. Stegner Judge Profile on Martindale.com". www.martindale.com. Retrieved 2018-07-21.
- Russell, Betsy (2018-05-22). "Judge John Stegner of Moscow appointed to Idaho Supreme Court". Idaho Press. Retrieved 2018-07-21.
- Hanian, Jon (2018-05-22). "Judge John Stegner Appointed To Idaho Supreme Court". KPVI. Retrieved 2018-07-21.
- "Court Contact Info". sjdc.isc.idaho.gov. 2nd Judicial District. Retrieved 2018-07-21.
- Dawson, James. "Moscow Judge John Stegner Appointed To Idaho Supreme Court". Retrieved 2018-07-21.
Warren E. Jones
| Associate Justice of the Idaho Supreme Court