John Hamish Armour, FBA (born 24 December 1971) is a British legal scholar. Since 2007, he has been Hogan Lovells Professor of Law and Finance at the University of Oxford, and a Fellow of Oriel College, Oxford. Previously, he was a lecturer at the University of Nottingham and at the University of Cambridge, where he was also a fellow of Trinity Hall, Cambridge.
John Hamish Armour
24 December 1971
|Title||Hogan Lovells Professor of Law and Finance|
Rebecca Ann Williams (m. 2007)
|Alma mater||Pembroke College, Oxford |
Yale Law School
|Sub-discipline||Company law |
|Institutions||University of Nottingham |
University of Cambridge
Trinity Hall, Cambridge
University of Oxford
Oriel College, Oxford
Armour was born on 24 December 1971 in Nottingham, England. He studied law at Pembroke College, Oxford, and graduated from the University of Oxford with a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree in 1994, later promoted to Master of Arts (MA Oxon) as per tradition, and a post-graduate Bachelor of Civil Law (BCL) degree in 1995. He then attended Yale Law School where he completed a Master of Laws (LLM) degree.
From 1996 to 2000, Armour was a lecturer in law at the University of Nottingham. In addition, between 1999 and 2000, he was a research fellow at the Centre for Business Research, University of Cambridge. From 2000 to 2001, he was the Norton Rose Lecturer in Corporate and Financial Law at Nottingham.
In 2001, Armour moved to the University of Cambridge. He was a senior research fellow from 2001 to 2002. He was then a lecturer in law from 2002 to 2005 and, having been promoted, was a senior lecturer from 2005 to 2007. During his time at Cambridge, he was also a Fellow of Trinity Hall, Cambridge.
In 2007, Armour moved to the University of Oxford. On 1 July 2007, he became the first Lovells Professor of Law and Finance. That year, he was also elected a Fellow of Oriel College, Oxford. In 2011, the chair was renamed as the Hogan Lovells Professorship of Law and Finance.
Armour has held a number of visiting academic appointments, including Visiting Professor of Law at the Columbia Law School and Visiting Scholar at the Becker Friedman Institute for Research in Economics of the University of Chicago.
In 2007, Armour married Rebecca Ann Williams. Together, they have two daughters.
- ARMOUR, Prof. John Hamish, Who's Who 2015, A & C Black, 2015; online edn, Oxford University Press, 2014
- "John Armour". Faculty of Law. University of Oxford. Archived from the original on 3 January 2015. Retrieved 3 January 2015. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- 'ARMOUR, Prof. John Hamish', Who's Who 2017, A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc, 2017; online edn, Oxford University Press, 2016 ; online edn, Nov 2016 accessed 29 July 2017
- "ARMOUR, Prof. John Hamish". Who's Who 2016. Oxford University Press. November 2015. Retrieved 24 December 2015.
- "Oxford Uni appoints first Lovells professor". Legal Week. Retrieved 3 January 2015.
- "Professor John Armour". Members Directory. European Corporate Governance Institute. Retrieved 3 January 2015.
- "Prof John Armour". Oriel College. University of Oxford. Retrieved 24 December 2015.
- "Lovells Professorship of Law and Finance". Oxford University Gazette. University of Oxford. 15 March 2007. Retrieved 4 February 2015.
- "Law Professorships". Oxford University Gazette. University of Oxford. 141 (4956). 9 June 2011. Retrieved 4 February 2015.
- "John Armour". Faculty. Columbia Law School. Retrieved 3 January 2015.
- "John Armour". People. The University of Chicago. Retrieved 3 January 2015.
- "Elections to the British Academy celebrate the diversity of UK research". British Academy. 2 July 2017. Retrieved 29 July 2017.
|New title|| Hogan Lovells Professor of Law and Finance
University of Oxford
2007 to present