Joan I, Countess of Auvergne(Redirected from Joanna I of Auvergne)
|Joan I of Auvergne|
Coronation of King John and Queen Joan
|Countess of Auvergne and Boulogne|
|Predecessor||William XII of Auvergne|
|Successor||Philip of Rouves|
|Queen consort of France|
|Born||8 May 1326|
|Died||29 September 1360(aged 34)|
Philip of Burgundy|
John II of France
|Philip I, Duke of Burgundy|
|Father||William XII, Count of Auvergne|
She was the daughter of William XII, Count of Auvergne and Boulogne, by his wife, Margaret, a sister of Philip III of Navarre. She inherited the counties of Auvergne and Boulogne after the death of her father.
Her first husband was Philip of Burgundy, who held the title Count of Auvergne by virtue of their marriage. They had one surviving child, Philip, who would be for much of his brief life Duke of Burgundy (by inheriting the title from his grandfather).
Following the death of her husband, Joan married John II of France on 13 February 1350; she became Queen consort of France in the following year. This was a second marriage for them both, John's first wife, Bonne of Bohemia, had died of Black Death and had left John with eight children, so there was little pressure for Joan to give birth to a son and heir. Joan's son, Philip became a ward of the King. She had three children with King John, two girls and an unnamed son, all of whom died young. Joan died in 1360. Her possessions were inherited by her son.
By her first husband, Philip, Joan had the following issue:
- Joan (1344 – 11 September 1360), engaged to Amadeus VI, Count of Savoy, but was ultimately dismissed and lived out her life in a convent at Poissy.
- Margaret (b. 1345), died young.
- Philip I, Duke of Burgundy (1346 – 21 November 1361), Duke of Burgundy and was married to Margaret III, Countess of Flanders.
By her second husband, John, Joan had the following issue:
- Blanche (November 1350), died young.
- Catherine (1352), died young.
- Unnamed son (1353), died young.
|Ancestors of Joan I, Countess of Auvergne|
- Blockmans, Wm; Prevenier, Walter (1999). Peters, Edward, ed. The Promised Lands: The Low Countries Under Burgundian Rule, 1369-1530. Translated by Fackelman, Elizabeth. University of Pennsylvania Press.
- Cox, Eugene L. (1967). The Green Count of Savoy. Princeton, New Jersey: Princeton University Press. LCCN 67-11030.
William XII of Auvergne
| Count of Auvergne
Count of Boulogne
With: Philip II of Boulogne
John II of France
Philip III of Boulogne
Blanche of Navarre
| Queen consort of France
22 August 1350 – 29 September 1360
Joanna of Bourbon