'Nickel Capital' (镍都)
Location of Jinchang City jurisdiction in Gansu
|Coordinates (Jinchang municipal government): Coordinates:|
|Country||People's Republic of China|
|Municipal seat||Jinchuan District|
|• Total||8,896 km2 (3,435 sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+8 (China Standard)|
|ISO 3166 code||CN-GS-03|
Jinchang City is located in central Gansu province, west of the Yellow River, north of the Qilian Mountains, and south of the Alashan Plateau. The southwest of the city borders Qinghai Province and the northwest borders Inner Mongolia. The area is 8,896 km2 (3,435 sq mi).
|Area (km²)||Density (/km²)|
|Jinchuan District||金川区||Jīnchuān Qū||228,561||3,060||74.69|
|Yongchang County||永昌县||Yǒngchāng Xiàn||235,489||5,867||40.13|
|Climate chart (explanation)|
Jinchang has a continental, semi-arid climate (Köppen BSk), with plenty of sunshine and a prevailing northwesterly wind throughout much of the year. Both diurnal and seasonal temperature variations are rather large, and springtime winds are often strong.
The 2002 GDP was 4.5 billion RMB. The average urban income was 8,233 RMB while rural was 3,051 RMB. Agriculture and natural resource based industries are the key to Jinchang's economy. It is called China's 'Nickel Capital' (鎳都) and has an abundance of other mineral resources including quartz, iron, manganese, copper, cobalt, zinc, gold, tungsten, limestone, etc. Here placed Jinchuan Group. The installation of a solar farm in the western part of Jinchang with a rated capacity of 1 GW and of a solar production facility with 300 MW capacity has been announced in May 2012. 
Vegetable oil is its primary agricultural product.
Cultural sites such as the Han and Qing dynasty Great Walls are popular tourist sites. The relatively undeveloped natural environment is also a draw for tourists.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jinchang.|
- (in Chinese) Official site
- 金昌市历史沿革 (in Chinese). 17 June 2016.
- 2016年统计用区划代码 (in Chinese). National Bureau of Statistics of the People's Republic of China.
统计用区划代码 名称 620301000000 市辖区 620302000000 金川区 620321000000 永昌县
- 位置、面积 (in Chinese). Jinchang Government. 16 March 2017.
- Main data bulletin of the sixth national census in 2010 Archived 2014-11-29 at the Wayback Machine, 2011-05-09(in Chinese)
- "NASA Earth Observations Data Set Index". NASA. Retrieved 30 January 2016.
- 甘肃省金昌市地方志编纂委员会 [Jinchang, Gansu Almanac Compilation Committee], ed. (1994). 《金昌市志》. 中国城市出版社. p. 18. ISBN 9787507406887.
- http://www.renewable-energy-technology.net/solar/chinese-firm-wins-1-gw-solar-boost-city[permanent dead link]