Jim Whitesell (born December 27, 1959) is an American college basketball coach, currently the head men's coach for the Buffalo Bulls. He has previously coached at the Division I level as a head coach at Loyola University Chicago and an assistant at St. John's and Saint Louis. Whitesell replaced Larry Farmer as head coach of the Ramblers on April 14, 2004. Whitesell was fired as head coach of the Ramblers on March 14, 2011 after seven seasons, posting a 109–106 record in that time. Whitesell was hired in August 2013 as an assistant coach at St. John's to fill the void left by former Director of Basketball Operations Moe Hicks. On April 16, 2015, he was named Associate Head Coach of men's basketball at the University at Buffalo. On April 6, 2019 Whitesell was named the 14th Head Coach of men's basketball at the University at Buffalo, filling the void left by Nate Oats when he resigned to take the Head Coach position at the University of Alabama.. Several of Whitesell's brothers work in the entertainment industry, including director John Whitesell, writer Chris Whitesell, writer/actor Sean Whitesell, and agent Patrick Whitesell.
|Born||December 27, 1959|
Iowa Falls, Iowa
|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
|1982–1983||North Dakota (assistant)|
|1983–1984||Ellsworth CC (assistant)|
|1984–1985||Wabash Valley (assistant)|
|1985–1987||Minnesota State–Mankato (assistant)|
|2011–2013||Saint Louis (assistant)|
|2013–2015||St. John's (assistant)|
|2015–2019||Buffalo (associate HC)|
|Head coaching record|
Head coaching recordEdit
|Elmhurst (CCIW) (1987–1992)|
|1991–92||Elmhurst||19–9||11–5||T–2nd||NCAA III Region|
|Elmhurst:||64–68 (.485)||34–46 (.425)|
|Lewis (GLVC) (1992–2004)|
|Loyola (IL) (Horizon League) (2004–2011)|
|Loyola (IL):||109–106 (.507)||50–70 (.417)|
|Buffalo Bulls (Mid-American Conference) (2019–present)|
|Buffalo:||18–9 (.667)||9–5 (.643)|
Postseason invitational champion
- Horizon League men's basketball record book
- 2007–08 Lewis University men's basketball media guide
- Elmhurst College history and coaching
- "Source: Loyola fires Jim Whitesell" ESPNChicago.com Mar. 14, 2011
- "St. John's hires St. Louis associate head coach Jim Whitesell" CBSSports Aug. 5, 2013
- "Men's Basketball Finalizes Coaching Staff". UBBulls.com. University at Buffalo Athletics. April 16, 2015. Retrieved 16 April 2015.
- Lenzi, Rachel (April 6, 2019). "UB announces Jim Whitesell as new men's basketball coach". The Buffalo News. Archived from the original on April 8, 2019. Retrieved April 8, 2019.
- Riordan, Tim (2019-04-06). "Whitesell named UB head coach". Bull Run. Retrieved 2019-04-06.
- "From Hollywood Hills to Chicago hoops" Daily Herald (Arlington Heights, IL) Feb. 10, 2006
- The Courier: "Iowa Falls family finds ties to show business" by Jessica Miller Mar 12, 2001